Copper Coil Contraceptive

Posted , 3 users are following.

Okay so I got the copper coil around 5 weeks ago and since then I've been on my period 3 times, once for about 6 days, then again for 3 days and then again for 11 days. The bleeding has been extremely heavy and I've been in so much pain, having to take tramadol every 4 hours. I thought maybe I had an infection or something. Anyway, I went back to the clinic where I had it fitted and a doctor checked to see if he could see the threads. He said everything was fine but I'm still in so much pain! I felt like I was going to faint the other day at work and just feel so weak! It really doesn't feel normal to be in this much pain constantly rolleyes does anyone have any advice or going through the same thing!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey, I had mine fitted in February and I still get really heavy periods and pain. Mine is normally a few days before and then the forst 2days when I'm in the most pain but normally Ibuprofen does the trick for me. From the information I was given from my doctor when I had minr fitted heavier periods are normal with the copper coil. Did you ask about the possibility of an infection at all when you went back? Hopefully it'll settle down in the next couple of weeks/months as your body gets used to it being there. K x

• Posted

I've tried ibuprofen but it doesn't seem to do anything so Im just taking tramadol :C I did mention infection but he just said its uncommon to have an infection so early on but he didn't check to see if I had an infection rolleyes I'll see how I go! Thank you for the advice!!!! I hope yours settles too! X

• Posted

Hi. I had mine fitted just under 2 weeks ago it is a copper, non hormonal IUD. I got my period as expected but it wasnt heavy or any longer than normal. They say it can make periods irregular, prolonged and more painful and it should settle within 6 months. I think it is expected but obviously isn't nice to endure. 

• Posted

Thank you!!!! I'm sure it will settle down soon! Being a girl sucks, doesn't it? Haha ??

• Posted

It really does sometime haha, why havent they invented contraception for men yet?! I can imagine it would impact them less. Hope things settle for you soon. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.