Copper Coil problems - should I have it removed?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am hoping someone can help me!! I have had the copper coil fitted after having nothing but problems with hormonal pills - but I am having problems with this too!! The doc said I would have cramping for a couple of days after and then be ok (until my period - which could be heavier and more painful). So I was expecting this - but I have had it 7 days and have had a pain that I don't think feels right - it is in my left side, it almost feels like stitch - but it is there constantly and the intensity comes and goes - but I can always feel it. It hurts more when I do things that use my stomach muscles - like stand up, sit down, twist or sit up. Surely this isn't normal?! Also when I pee it doesn't feel right - it burns a bit, but not in a cystitis way - I am very familiar with cystitis as I am prone to it - but it is a different sensation. I am considering having it removed as I am concerned about all the complications it can cause. If I do though I am stumped for what contraception I can use that won't cause me problems?! HELP!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

7 days isnt long enough for your body to adjust to the coil. I suggest giving it at least a month or 2 to see how your body works with it. Your doctor will probably give you the same advise if you go to see her about removal. Your body isnt used to having something inside it and these are probably what the pains are. For the first week i was doped up on pain killers but it will fade within 10-14 days. If not maybe see your doctor about the pains
    • Posted

I guess you are right. I was just concerned with the adominal pains as I was told this wasn't normal. I will see what the docs say. Thanks for your advice smile
  • Posted

I get pains very similar to those, especially when I have a full bladder or anything that uses my abdominal muscles, even getting out of the bath! I was worried at first after only having it in for 2 weeks but im sure its just because im not uses to so much pressure inside my womb. Pain killers and hot compresses help wonders, good luck!
    • Posted

Yeah I found the same - thought it was poking my bladder or something ha! It's completely gone now though touch wood so hopefully yours will once it settles! 
  • Posted

With regard to it hurting when you pee: if you are prone to bladder infections, the copper coil does make this condition worse. You should drink lots of water and cranberry juice when you feel it gets quite sore. Also, don't go for long periods of time with a full bladder, this adds to the problem.

Well done for sticking through it. I had mine removed after a few days. The pain was totally unbearable, even with 8 Ibuprofen a day! It felt like someone had operated on my stomach.

Maybe you should go to your doctor / clinic to do an ultrasound to check that your iud is in the right position. It may have moved and that may be causing discomfort. It's unlikely, but worth checking out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.