Corneal Abrasion - how best to heal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was given an unexpected gift in my opthalmologist's office - a long scratch on my cornea during the process of my doc's assistant trying contact lens on me.  Since I had local anasthesia I did not realize this happened till I felt some discomfort and my doc came in, looked and saw the scratch (corneal abrasion) over my pupil. He said I would be hurting quite a bit when the eye drops wore off and gave me a clear bandaid on the cornea for 2 days to help it heal. 3 days out it's better but still scratchy, the "bandaid" was taken off yesterday but my vision is still blurry. This is on the same eye where I had cataract surgery 7 weeks earlier and I have been in the process of getting 2nd opinions since I got stuck with the wrong IOL lens. (I also posted in the cataract forum last month) My question is, is there a general time frame wherein the blurriness goes away? How to prevent what I read about re repeat occurences? Do I need to delay getting my 2nd opinions on cataract re-surgery till this is back to normal? (hoping it WILL be back to normal of course!)

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Be very aware and seek a second opinion at your nearest Eye Clinic.  I had an ulcer on the cornea and eventually lost sight in that eye.  Steroid drops probably required.
    • Posted

Shoosh, so sorry to hear that!!!! What a bummer. How unfair.

As for me It's a scratch though, which happened 3 days ago. 

• Posted

jak15771, how did you get that corneal ulcer (if you don't mind my asking?)

My vision still very blurry after nearly a week. Started steroid drops today, before that was taking antibiotic.

• Posted

Started off with conjunctivitis, which was virus-based.  Then blurred vision and when I went to the Eye Clinic, they were quite worried and put me on steroid drops hourly for 48 hours.  The ulcer eventually cleared up but there is damage to the cornea so lack of vision

Every time they stopped the steroid drops, it flared up again..

Be aware that steroid drops can damage the cornea, they don't always tell you that.  Make sure you use moisturising drops as well, e.g. Oxyal.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I am so sorry for your travails. As for me,My eye seemed to be improving since last week so wasn't worried till yesterday when my doc told me I needed to start taking steroid drops 2x day to get the swelling down. Also my eye is for the first time worse this morning, the scratchiness & also the vision more blurred. I'll start the steroid drops but I'm going to see a retina doc tomorrow that I have had a routine appt with for weeks but it won't hurt for another doc to take a look. A strong yes on the moisturizing drops-every 2 hrs.  Anything you have to add, very appreciated.
  • Posted

Hi. I sincerely sympathise with you. I had a great 'gift' of that too. I was having my third Eyelea injection for Macular Oedema and this time it was done by the Consultant rather than a nurse. I knew there was something different after two days as the pain was dreadful. I went in as emergency only to be told I had a corneal abrasion. I was told by the nurses that it could have come from pulling off the speculum that keeps your eye open but the consultant wrote to me and said it was probably from the needle! You go in to cure one thing and come away with something else! The pain lasted over two weeks and I am still having to use drops and ointment which makes my eye blurred. It has put me off having my ext injection. I really hope it heals but it is very,very painful and unpleasant and through no fault of our own!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.