Coronary CTA

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am scheduled for a coronary cta in a couple weeks. My cardiologist has instructed me to take 50 mg atenolol the night before, and repeat dose in the morning before the test. I do not take this medicine regularly and am just concerned about the high dose. Should I hold the dose if my heart rate or bp is low? has anyone had a CCTA before?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Seems like a lot of atenolol, but if that's standard operating procedure I'm not going to contradict it here. 50mg/day is a standard dose, but it looks like that can go up to 200mg for some people, some conditions. So I guess 100mg in a day is not pushing any limits.

If that's a whole heart CTA I can see why they'd want it slow.

I take a tiny dose of atenolol for BP and arrhythmia, but 25mg/day is the most I've ever taken. My doctor asks why I'm taking "a pediatric dose", but the answer is, because it works!

Good luck with the scan.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.