coronary spasm and meds

Posted , 9 users are following.

Is anyone with coronary spasms taking Ranexa (ranolozine) and what side effects have you experienced

3 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Linda

Ranexa is patassium channel activator drug. This is a one of the newer in this class and also a very expensive one.

I did no experience any side effects with this in last 6 months or so that I have been on it, but are you really worried about the side effects? Even if you get odd hot flushes or other irritation, if the drug is going to do the trick, you are going to put up with the side effect, right?

But, here's the proplem that I had: Just recently, the doctor put me on another drug that has a major interaction with Ranexa. You can read all the side effects and drug interaction on google. so, sadly I had to come off Ranexa.

I hope that does not happen to you.

I have a question for you: what led your doctor to say that you are suffering from the coronary spasms? Did they do any tests? I presume you have got a stent or two?

• Posted

I have had the rare side effects which I have listed in this thread if they were just mild I would put up with them, my initioal question was - is anyone else getting these and did they go after a while. As to your other question no I have not had any stents my main arteries only slight plaque but my symptoms are exactly the same as angina and the pain I get is angina pain, reflux has been ruled out from a barium swallow and meal. I have had all the usual tests angiogram, ecg, echocardiogram, twice my troponin levels were raised and ecg shows some damage luckily for me my Cardiologist recongnises microvascular/coronary spasms some won't even consider it. 
    • Posted

Sounds like you got a good cardiologist. Ranexa isn't used in Canada, it isn't an option for me. That is great that your cardiologist knows not to stent for vasospasm. Some don't. In some people it irritates the inner lining of the coronary arteries and causes more spaming distal to the stent. There is no way of removing a stent, so the person ththas this happen is now most likely screwed for life. Occasionally, as we age and our coronary arteries start to stiffen (usually around our 60's) like anyone else's. For some, this is good news, because it means that the arteries now have less ability to spasm. If you get admitted to another cardiologist and they try to put a stent in you, unless you are having a STEMI (both ecg changes from your most recent one, not a normal person's AND elevated enzymes) ask them to discuss that decision with your cardiologist before going to the cath lab. They'll probably give you a hard time, but if they make the wrong call, it's the patient that now has to deal with the pain and all that goes along with it, for the rest of their lives. Stick with your guy though, sounds like he is a rare gem.
  • Posted

Hi Linda

I was started on Ranexa about 10 days ago and apart from a welcome decrease in chest pain the only thing I have noticed so far is mild discomfort in my digestive tract. I don't normally experience digestive troubles and gastric problems were ruled out during investigations into the chest pain 3 years ago. Although Ranexa is the latest addition to my list of meds, the dosages of some of the others have also been increased recently so I am not sure if the discomfort is Ranexa related or not. I've modified the times of day I take the Ranexa and am looking at my diet to make sure I knock out other things (such as tea and coffee) that might not be helping. 

I hope you find the side effects you experience subside over time Linda and that the benefits of Ranexa outweigh the problems.

• Posted

Hey there Linda, I have the same thing an they have prescribe me with RENEXA... Has it help you with your spasms? I get really bad chest pains and I'm just wondering if it does help?
  • Posted

Hi Linda !

My spams are/have been not recorded yet even though  had MI [ cardiac arrest] they did an angioplasty.Have had 2 false admissions calling NHS 111so now take 2 ranitidine & 2 GTN tabs /spray  twice .If did not resolve or became worse would call 999.

Anaethetists know & won't take risk unless have to as have had problems getting dental sedation.

Someone suggested the microvascular Prinzmetals Angina or Cardiac X syndrome.

I too take nicorandill  ,isabordide & numerous others as preventative.

• Posted

I recently tried Ranexa and had to stop afer a week. I had chest pains, chest tightness felt jittery, pounding heart, my blood pressure went up, light headed, numbness, and over all not feeling right. It took a week being off of it before I started feeling normal again. 
  • Posted

Just started Ranexa two weeks ago and beta blocker.  My first drugs since 2005.  I like taking the alternative route like using Chelation.  Has anyone done chelation?  I glad to see all the comments Ranexa.  My cardiologists says, it only works on about 50% of the people.  So, far I am doing good on it and I do not do well with drugs.
  • Posted

I had "indigestion" for 20-25 years and was taking tums and then ranitidine on a daily basis, multiple times a day only to find out about 18 months ago that I was really having chest pains. First did an EndoPAT, non-invasive 15 minute test, like a "mammogram for heart disease" and that determined for sure it was a vascular problem and that I didn't need to see a gastroenterologist. Next test was the "gold standard" , invasive test,angiogram with Coronary Reactivity Testing. As a result of that test, diagnosed with Microvascular Coronary Disease. Not specifically classified as Prinzmetal's or Cardic X but I was was having chest pains all the time, day, night, could not identify triggers. Even now with medication I still wake up during the night with chest pains occasionally -- I always start by telling myself it's indigestion but deep down I know it's not and use my nitro spray instead of ranitidine.  Since the medication cocktail of Ranexa, L-arginine, Lisinopril, and Carvedilol basically no chest pains with the exception of the occasional night time mentioned above. Those are believed to be stress related after keeping monthly logs to try and identify triggers.  In addition to medication, have made other lifestyle changes. Lost 30 pounds over the past two years and have kept it off. maintained an increase in physical activity. And, Been more mindful about living in the moment via meditation.  All the work & lifestyle changes have not been easy but on balance with a serious diagnosis - a wake up call at the right time for me. 56 and looking forward to enjoying retirement. Didn't work hard, sacrifice and save to not enjoy my savings and instead leave it to someone else. That's a big motivator for me
  • Posted

Yes I was recently prescriobed it for my Angina.

Sympton since taking this medication is severe Flatulence. Extreme pain in stomch and in my left side. It doest appear to be the heart area but directly oposite my elbow and up into the shoulder blake in my back area.

I was taking Verapamil 80mg for 30 plus years with no problems and moreove no angina attacks but this "New Consultant" told me to stop taking them immediately. (The manufacturer recomends coming off them very gradually, Typical consultanty always know best?)

Since that time I have had regular attacks of Angina and moreover these severe pians in stomach and side.

I am ex tremely tempted to go back on the verapamil and see just what happens.  The reasoning behind this is that I fear I am going to have a massive heart attack if I stay on these and the verapamil worked for 3o plus years with no problems.

All answer gratefully received

• Posted

My Ranexa side effects:  extreme swelling from the knee down and very cold.  I could not get warm.  So, I stop taking the drug.  I never notice any difference being off it.  So i really do not believe it was doing anything good for me but giving me more problems.
  • Posted

Yes I have been put on it.

No very happy with it.

Get bad stomach pains like excees wind/flatulence and stomach pains.

The stuff I have got appears to be made in Russia by the writing on the pack its all cyrilic script and no notes inside

• Posted

I have had to go to John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford for a 

Myocardial Profusion Imaging Test on Wednesday of last week

I had to stop the tablets for one day prior to the test and not take

them on the day of the test.

Have not taken them since and feel so much better without them.

Whilst taking them I was getting severe nausea full of wind and bad flatulance.  Now none of those problem and feel so much better its untrue..

WARNING! dont do this on my say so as it may not be good for you and your prob lem.

But its seems to be working for me.

I am more awake, thinking clearer, feel more alive not totally washed out.

Ask your medic about them and ask for a substitute for them.

I ttok Varapamil 80mg for 30 plus years with no problem but the "Experts" told me to stop them.

Begs the question do they really know or are they just gambling with opur health and lives

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.