Coronavirus & Immunosuppressants

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm sure everyone is probably up to their eyes in seeing things about coronavirus but i wandered if anyone else is concerned about the risks associated with being on immunosuppressants?

I've been checking the Crohn's and Colitis website and it says anyone taking certain medications is at a higher risk of complications. Is anyone else concerned about this other than me and are you working from home for those that can do this?

Would just be interested in others thoughts or if I'm being concerned about this and others aren't?

Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

For any users concerned about the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation please see our advice hub on this page. This hub contains regularly updated information on a variety of subjects and is updated as the situation or advice changes.

Our coronavirus checker tool is here

Regards,

Patient

• Posted

you should self isolate for 12 weeks imediately

• Posted

Really? I've tried ringing the helpline but it was so busy and I'm sure they are unindated with calls etc so would be interested to know peoples thoughts. Would you say 12 weeks because this could have a real impact?

• Posted

I agree partly with john14053 . I think you need to self-isolate for the next couple of weeks at least, then look at how infection rates are going, and what new advice is coming out from the government.

Immunosuppressant drugs do just what it says on the tin: they suppress your immune system, making it harder for you to fight off infections.

Bear in mind also that the immunosuppressant effect depends on the dosage. When these drugs are used for autoimmune conditions they're given at very much lower doses than for chemotherapy. I think it's essential for you to speak to the doctor who prescribed the drugs, as he/she will be best placed to advise you.

One thing I would say is that the risk of going out is to you. You're being asked to self-isolate for your own protection, not to protect others from you. I'm only saying this because certain disreputable newspapers (well, in the UK anyway) are maliciously printing misleading headlines that make it sound as if the elderly (like me) or the immunosuppressed are somehow putting others at risk if they go out in the world. This is simply fake news, which could stir up civil unrest.

Best wishes to all in these difficult times.

• Edited

Hi Fran,

I'm in the same boat, I'm on infliximab etc but I cant work from home as I work in a school my school is open but I dont know if I should self isolate I have a 5 year old daughter who's got several cases in her school but even her schools open.

should I self isolate and what do I say to my employer shes a funny so and so...

keep safe.

• Posted

Hey,

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that. It's really difficult isn't it. My work are aware but I don't know how much of a risk it is other than reading what they've advised on the Crohn's website and is that a precaution or is it a must?

I hope you can stay safe too and your daughter is ok

• Posted

hello Fran.

yes I share the same concern.

I had my bloods checked last Wednesday just to make sure everything was as normal as possible incase I had to postpone my meds to allow my immune system to build itself up a bit.

my bloods were ok but I've been advised to stay indoors as much as I possibly can to minimise the risk of me picking anything up. I'm still going into the office to work at the moment but...

stay safe everyone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.