Correct usage of clobetasol

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello

I have just had the biopsy for LS and the OBGYN is pretty sure I am a prime candidate.  She gave me Clobetasol.  Mind you, i was in complete shock and panic over the biopsy and can't recall 100% what she said.  I recall 2 times a day for 2 weeks and then 1 once a day.......then it is all a blur from there.

I am looking at alternate ways as well to manage comfort such as aloe, apple cider pills etc.  Any suggestions for a newbee?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tara, try not to worry, so many of us live with this.

To use the Clob. 2.x day for 2weeks 1x daily for 2 weeks

then try alternate days for 2 weeks and continue reducing to perhaps once a week. You should by then see a good improvement and may be able to just use it occasionally. I now use Eumovate a much milder steroid which I use most days to keep things comfortable. You will ok k up lots of other ideas on here, but for now it is best to use the Clob. as directed for 6 weeks or so.

Hope this helps good luck.

• Posted

When I was diagnosed first time I was on steroid cream for almost three months....for three weeks I applied twice a week, then came down to three times a week twice a day, then again to twice a week , twice a day, used steroid cream and a barrier ointment daily.  Every day I rinse with bicarbonate of soda mixed in with water after every visit to the loo.

The steroid cream is the one which heals the white patches from LS. It is a lot of hard work keeping LS at bay and under control.

• Posted

Hi Tara

I was diagnosed three weeks ago & was given an NHS leaflet on the usage of steroid ointments.

The advice is as follows. "First month...apply a thin layer to the affected area once nightly.                                                                               Second month...apply a thin layer to the affected area alternate nightly.                                                                   Third month...apply a thin layer to the affected area twice weekly.                                        After the third month, only apply the ointment as you feel you need it in order to keep the itch under control. If your condition flares up again, you should go back to applying the ointment once daily at night for a week

to try to get rid of the itch.

It is important not to use more than a 30 gram tube during the three month period."

I was given Clobaderm & told the consultant that i did not have an itch, just either pain or discomfort. I have to say that i find the ointment works very well. I was also told to use Diprobase (Moisturiser) twice a day. Must admit that i usually only remember to do it once a day.

Hopefully you'll have it under control in no time.

• Posted

Hi Milguygirl, just wondering did the NHS say to apply the ointment 'inside' and not outside? 

• Posted

Hi Linda

No. They said outside only.  I thought it was strange as the pain/discomfort i felt was on the inside but after three weeks usage, i have no pain & just the odd twinge of discomfort which only lasts for a few seconds.

• Posted

Thank you all so much, this helps -  I have it in writing now rather than relying on my memory.  If I could give the computer a hug, I would hug each of you.   Also has anyone ever heard of aloe vesta perineal skin cleanser.  My OBGN did recommend this to use instead of the toilet paper.

I am going to try to learn as much as I can. 

• Posted

I heard of aloe vesta perenial skin cleanser....but not have tried it yet, you give it a try and see how you feel, when I was first diagnosed the LS was terrible and very intense, I needed to use the steroid cream for longer.
  • Posted

okay so maybe she does know something lol.  I was a little skeptical.  I bought it and waiting for it to come in the mail,   Apparently it has a fragrance to it which is why I was apprehensive but if I use it when I am not flared up, perhaps it may do some good as far as keeping it 
  • Posted

Isn't it strange that the experts all have differing advice? I was told to avoid everything that is scented & to use a good quality toilet paper.

If they were all reading from the same hymn sheet, it would make things a little less confusing for us.

• Posted

The "experts" all have different advice because not two women are the same when it comes to LS treatment...what works for me may not work for you and vice versa. We can not all be reading from the same hymn sheet....confusing ? would be better not to have these confusing information at all ? You need to try various options and find the one that works for you....creams, oils, ointments, toilet paper or no toilet paper at all etc. Not all women can follow the same treatment as we are all very different.

Be grateful for the guidance and confusing advice from these forums.....

• Posted

I realise we are all very different & different creams & ointments work for different people. I would have thought, though, that  advice for non medical things ie perfumed products etc would be standardised.

I am very grateful to the ladies & gentlemen who post advice on this forum & frankly don't need you to tell me to be so.

• Posted

It is all right if you are grateful for the advice and guidance offered in these forums, because we give our time and use our experience to help the newly diagnosed women manage with LS.
    • Posted

In my humble opinion the difference in advice from doctors is due to ignorance of the condition and the difference in advice from so called experts is not because we are all different but because SOME take more than a passing interest and actually try to keep up to date on latest findings and others can't wait to get you examined, slap a tube of steroid in your hand and kick you out the door ! The overall lack of knowledge and sympathy/empathy and sensitivity about the condition is staggering. This is born out by the hundreds of appalling stories of how women have been treated by their 'experts' - especially on the first visit when the news that you have the disease alone has devastated you, they are them sent off with little or no information feeling terrified, doomed and very alone. It's a shocking state of affairs !

• Posted

I could not agree more.  I am willing to try anything as long as there is relief.  Maybe everyone responds differently.  I hear some get flare ups from sugar while others don't.  I tried to think back the the last few months prior to getting the biopsy that  mine is flared by stress and food doesn't bother me much.

I also ordered the Hydromol Ointment.  I am now confused as to use it on the inside of the vagina or on the outer parts.  I will figure it out.  Kind of like raising a child.  one day at a time

• Posted

Hydromol is very good...I use it as a barrier, rub the skin very well, going deep, stretch the skin. It will protect you during the day.....can be applied after the steroid cream, after half an hour or one hour. You need to keep the genital area moist at all times, dryness and friction worsens LS.

You need to try things for yourself and figure out if they are working for you or not.

• Posted

You can use HYDROMOL wherever you like as it is hypoallergenic. I would not personally apply anything with perfume to the vulva. Women are always told to Avoid perfumed soaps etc on NORMAL vulva skin let alone with LS ! The steroid and Hydromol should sort you out then a matter of maintenance. It's a horrible condition but there are far worse we could have I guess. Kind regards x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.