Correction - What to expect next...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have an appointment this afternoon and I have finally decided to be placed on the waiting list. What should I expect from this appointment once I have told the consultant I wish to proceed. A very anxious 39 (very soon) year old.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Let the doctors know exactly how you feel about everything, they are there to advise you and give you all the details, i had the op when i was 14 (about 4 years ago) and i was put on the waiting list and they called me in for an op around 8 months later, it was the best decision i have ever made and the doctors are so good they will help you through it, if you have questions just ask me x

• Posted

Thank you so much. Read tjis sat in the waiting room with a tear in my eye. Means a lot to hear this.
    • Posted

I know its probably so annoying to be told but honestly the thing which got me through it was staying positive, my curve was around 63 degrees and it is now around 3 degrees, i can do everything now, i tried to stay fit and active and i know a girl who has just had the op (around 2 months ago) and i talk to her a lot and she is the same as me too, Emily, good luck with everything
    • Posted

Thank you. This really helped today and I am now on the list. Please could I ask what things do you find more challenging since the op?

You really made a difference today smile

• Posted

Hiya, so i was 11 when i was first diagnosed with scoliosis, i was called in for surgery late summer in 2013 (13 years old) and i wasn't really that nervous, the day came and i went in with my mum and dad. they gave me a something to help me sleep and in the morning i went for the op, i came out the other end being sick but this was all from the medication. The next day when i was on the normal ward it was painful on my spine however you are taking so much medication it won't be unbearable, the nurses tried to get me up standing as soon as possible so by the end of the 2nd day i had stood up. The most painful part was turning my body over in the middle of the night and being woken up constantly by the nurses to check on you. Overall, i was only in for a week which i think is amazing considering its spinal surgery, the best thing is to stay active and try and keep going until you can walk. 

What degree curve are you? and what are you most worried about?

Emily x

• Posted

Hi there, I am thinking whether to have this operation or not. I was referred to the Regional Spine Centre and saw a consultant last summer. He told me of all the risks, and left it to me to decide whether or not.  I’m still not convinced, as I’m 65, but in a lot of pain from my spine. I only found out about my scoliosis 3 or 4 years ago, and thought the pain was arthritis. However, at the start of this year my left hip started to be painful. Long story short, I go in hospital later this month for a hip replacement.  I informed the Spine consultant’s secretary and they will see me towards the end of the year. So, I will follow your posts and hope for some answers for myself.  All the best for you and your future. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.