Correlation between hip replacement and PMR?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had a hip joint replacement 4 years ago, and about 3 months before onset of PMR symptoms. Recent blood tests show high levels of cobalt and chromium in my blood, which can cause inflammation. Some appliances were recalled for releasing those exact metals, and I am currently checking out what was used on me, although my surgery came after the recall. I asked the surgeon about a possible connection when the PMR hit because very inflamed hip joint, now very inflamed shoulders and was told they two problems were unrelated. Wondering if anyone else has experienced PMR after a hip joint replacement and been told there was no correlation? Or if anyone has heard of a correlation? Thank you.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Almost everyone I know has had PMR and then a hip replacement though there are a few who have had major surgery of some sort and then PMR appeared.

Whilst the leaching of the metals may have something to do with it (and no-one should be naive enough to say there isn't) I thin it is more likely that in most cases the stress of the surgery was the final straw that broke the immune system camel's back.

• Posted

I had a THR six years ago and asked what had been used. Was told it was the Exeter. Apparently this is very commonly used in UK. It has given me no grief whatsoever.

My replacement came at the end of my second " session" PMR rather than the other way round from yours.

• Posted

The Exeter hip was supposed to have transformed hip surgery. The first one was implanted in 1970 and it has been a gold standard for hips. I believe it is still the most implanted of cemented hips internationally. It has been improved a little bit over the years.

• Posted

There is a 2018 documentary on Netflix: "The Bleeding Edge," which explores implants, including hip replacements. It addresses the specific problems of joint replacement and device toxicity. Quite sobering, and made me delay a knee replacement to some time in the future.

Also, I think the trauma of a hip replace may well be a contributing factor to the autoimmune response of PMR

Best of luck.

• Posted

I have just watched the Bleeding Edge. I did find it a bit exasperating as it did not answer the questions it put in my head, but it was pretty revealing on the other hand.

• Posted

Unfortunately, at 69, I've got more questions than I ever did. And my cynical self realizes that most of what I believed was not true. And I think I finally found my mind, just in time to lose it! Hope you're doing well.

• Posted

Every procedure is a compromise between easing the life NOW and potential future issues. When you take chest X-Ray or CT scan you increase a chance that some day in a future you may get cancer. But if you have broken bone or some other issue now, that takes prescience. That is life.

• Posted

I STILL HAVE MY HIPS, KNEES AND SHOULDERS BUT HAD 1 1/2 SECTION IF SMALL DEAD BOWEL REMOVED IN 2012. I HAD TO RECEIVE MANY ANTIBIOTICS, ANTIFUNGALS AND BLOOD TO SAVE MY LIFE; ; THE HIP BURSITIS HAPPENED VERY SHORTLY AFTER THAT. I BELIEVE THAT STRESS ON MY BODY SET ME OFF- I THINK.

• Posted

I add I know many people with assorted joint replacements and none of them got pmr. The one lady I know with pmr had nothibg implanted.

• Posted

It is hard to say, I had no transplants other then dental, and that was at least 10 years before PMR. My bones are fine and probably would last longer then me 😃. Stress of any sorts is considered as contributing factor to PMR, so hip replacement could be indirectly involved in triggering PMR in your case.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.