Corticosteriod injections for pain relief

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I have L5 herniated disc pressing on the S1 nerve root. NHS have referred me for the injection above but I am having second thoughts as i have heard they only provide temporary relief and come with risks. Please can I have some advice on what works best for herniated disk at L5 and what people think of these injections? Many thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had the same problems in July my advice would be to try the injections first because I had the operation on the 27th of July and they damaged my nerves in my back which left my bowels and bladder not working and I am.still.the same at the moment so think carefully but my advice would be try the injections first xx
    • Posted

Hi Sarah, thank you for your advice and sharing your experience. I too have been worried about surgery causing me the complications you have but isn't there a risk that the injections can also do this or are they a lot safer than the operations please?

• Posted

Sorry I was never given the choice of having injections so.not sure of any risks sorry I can't give you a answer hope you feel better soon love take care xx

• Posted

Hi Gabriella

This could work but it depends. If the herniation is not too bad then it is not a bad plan. The injection will relieve the inflammation on the nerve but if the nerve remains under pressure from the disc then it will come back. 

If the disc has ruptured then the injection is probably not a fix and surgery may be more suitable,

if the disc is just out of shape then what could work would be the injection now and then lots of physiotherapy and core strengthening in the following weeks and months. The latter is key as it takes pressure off the herniated disc (because the muscles support the back better), sometimes enough to mean that the nerve is no longer under pressure from the damaged disc and so it does not get re-inflamed hence less or no pain later. 

Just bear in mind that nothing is a certainty and things tend not to be all or nothing, certainly not in the short term. Do be careful during the period after the injection though - even if it feels better, your back will be looking for reasons to rebel, so no sitting for long periods and watch out for bending lifting and twisting as these all put load on the disc that you are trying to rehabilitate.

• Posted

I had severe nerve pain in june fron l4 nerve entrapment i was hesitent but the pain gave in an i went ahead to be honest it was not painful experience and it did relieve the pain to 50 to 60% improvement . Unfortunately if you leave the nerve impinged it can damage it as mine has even though 3 mths after my mri showed disc had slipped off nerve but it has left it damaged so 6 months later i have still no knee reflex .but the cortisone injection definitely helped my pain to be more manageable so good luck on what ever you decide 

• Posted

Personally they didn't work for me and they won't heal a disc they only mask the pain if they work . Unfortunately operating was what worked for me. An emergency op as my disc s collapsed and were pressing on my spinal cord . Neurosurgeon has been my best bet .

• Posted

I have been referred to see a neurologist so will they be able to refer me to a neurosurgeon if they think I need one please?

• Posted

They should but insist you believe a MRI is in the best interest of your health , all hospital have a complaints email address if yr not happy email them too . I did and received a MRI with in a week then the results a wk later . Be pushy don't take no for a answer.

• Posted

I see a lot of patients with this kind of problem and I do a lot of spinal steroid injections for it. Ignore the scaremongers. It's a simple and safe procedure with a very low risk of complications. Most patients get benefit that can accelerate return to normal function aided by physical therapy. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.