Cortiment side effects - Please help.?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone... I’m completely new to this (or any) forum.  I have just been diagnosed with UC after symptoms started 1.5years ago. 

I was on a few treatments the last 6 months but as of last week I’m on Salofalk Granules, Salofalk Suppository, Budenofalk foam enema and cortiment (budesonide) prolonged release and I’m panicking massively.!!! 

I’m so so worried about the side effects of the Cortiment... I’m terrified of the weight gain, cushings & the stretch marks. 

I know this may sound extremely vain and a small issue in comparison to the illness itself, but I can hardly stand looking at myself at the minute as it is. 

Has anyone taken these.?  How were your side effects.? Did you experience any of them? 

I don’t know who else to ask... thanks in advance.  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hope you find remission soon, as the drugs get stronger and stronger with more unwanted side effects. I have had uc for 25 years and have had to use steroids several times. The suppositories are better than the oral is terms of side effects. I only gained about 5 pounds for treatment. Some people gain a lot...everyone is different. I have some stretch marks but don't feel it is related to steroids. Have a baby. Good luck, and try to stay calm. Added stress is not good for you!

• Posted

Pamela thank you so much for your response & your kind words...  I think anticipation might almost worse than the side effect itself.  

25 years... wow.  Sometimes I forget it is not a short term illness.  

Thanks again for your reply.  Wishing you good health 

• Posted

Hi Emma...just wondering how you are getting on with the Cortiment? I’m in a similar situation to you, got diagnosed with UC in January, doc put me on prednisone- which made me hyper so I had to stop taking it!  He has now put me on Cortiment as it’s apparently milder..but like you I’m scared of the side effects & weight gain etc.  

• Posted

Sara sincere apologies for the late reply...  I was on the cortiment for 8 weeks, along with other meds, and they really helped.  I was worried about the side effects but apparently they treat where needs treated and don’t enter the bloodstream so much that they cause the unwanted side effects like other steroids.  

I had no weight gain, rounding of the face or acne.  They helped get me into remission and I feel better than I have in almost 2 years.  

I really hope they are as easy on you as they were on me and you get into remission soon.  

Sending you best wishes & good health xx

• Posted

Thanks for the feedback....Delighted they have worked for you, just started my course so fingers crossed 🤞 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.