cortisol

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all am new here, am in the uk, i paid for a private cortisol test, am looking for advice it was taken at 9am the reading was 893 range 171-536 should i be worried thanks in advance x ive still too make apt with my gp x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

893 is quite high i think , you need an entire day curve where blood is taken at different times of the day not just in the morning
  • Posted

Hi Jazzyanne and welcome smile

If i was responding as my doctor i would tell you 893 isnt that bad lol.

As me responding i would tell you ANY levels outside the normal range should be followed up with more testing.

I can tell you that a 9am cortisol level is not used when diagnosing Cushing's.

The main tests are a 24 hr UFC ( Urine free cortisol ), and at least 1 midnight saliva cortisol. If either of these tests are outside normal range they should follow it up with a Dexamethazone suppression test.

Most doctors like to do a range of tests over a period of months ( for example 4 months of 24hr urine and midnight saliva each month ) before even entertaining a diagnosis.

Its not unusual to get a high early morning cortisol level. But as i said above it should be followed up with further tests smile.

When you see your GP ask to be referred to an Endocrinologist who will perform all the tests.

Goodluck.

• Posted

Hi and welcome.  I had a cortisol test which was over 800 but as the others have said you need a few tests arranged by your GP to really get a better picture.  The GP will then refer you to an endocrinologist to look after you hopefully.  We are all here for you. At least now you are on the way!
    • Posted

I had all of the tests which proved to be positive.  I then had an MRI scan to see where the tumour was.  It wasn't visible so I had an extra test which involved a camera in my groin going up to my brain which showed exactly where the tumour was.  I had the tumour removed in 2012.  The diaganosis is what takes the time mainly because we are so unique most G.P.'s have never met a patient with the symptoms before!
  • Posted

I was Pretty much the same as Vicki. My cortisol level was 1285 with a range of 119-618 as normal. I have four months of testing. Then had an MRI which showed nothing. So i Had the Camera test. Its called Inferior petrosal sinus sample. This showed Very high cortisol and ACTH on the left side of my pituitary gland. I had 95% of my pituitary gland removed in march 2014. Saw my GP yesterday and first thing she said is, Oh my look how much weight you have lost ! smile
  • Posted

I'm in Australia Jazzy.

To tell the truth Vicky i really hadnt noticed any weight loss. When i got back from the docs i jumped on the scales and i had lost 14 kilos ( thats approx 30 pounds). Had to be happy with that especially as i wasnt trying to lose weight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.