Cortisol and the menopause

Posted , 12 users are following.

Thought I'd share what I've read with you ladies. Apparently when our estrogen levels are normal it keeps cortisol (the stress hormone) in check, but when the levels of estrogen drop the cortisol gets out of control. Sustained high cortisol levels destroy healthy muscle and bone, slow down healing and normal cell regeneration, co-opt biochemicals needed to make other vital hormones, impair digestion, metabolism and mental function, interfere with healthy endocrine function; and weaken your immune system. High cortisol can effect adrenal function.  Adrenal fatigue may be a factor in many related conditions, including fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism, chronic fatigue syndrome, arthritis, premature menopause and others. It may also produce a host of other unpleasant symptoms, such as brain fog, acne and hair loss.

This more or less describes what women are going through here.

The good news is you can control it, diet helps, things you need to avoid include coffee, chocolate, sugar and alcohol . Omega 3's help but you also need to avoid stress (or learn to handle it better), I've been using a great deep breathing technique developed by doctor David O'hare, you can find it on Youtube.

4 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Thanks Kerry. That's very interesting and would explain a lot. So, keep up the dietary changes. Very encouraging. Shame about the chocolate though.haha
  • Posted

Interesting, Kerry.  I can't conplain about fatigue or stress YET, though.  Mooma, about the chocolate, we can still have it, if it is the 70% dark.  It is even considred good, if we  do not get much of it. Better than nothing.
    • Posted

Anyone tried yoga? I'm seriously thinking about taking it up. I honestly believe that your attitude at this time can go a long way to healing.
    • Posted

I'm sure you're right. I did have a little go at it but unfortunately have struggled to keep it up because of feeling dizzy

lots of people have said how good it is

• Posted

Hi Mooma,

hope you're well today, I'm feeling good and very positive. It's a no (or low) pain day and that's a good day! 

• Posted

That's great Kerry . I'm having q a bit of pain todaysad and my head is fit to burst. Day 6 without amitriptyline . I live in hope for improvement. Enjoy the day and make the most of having no pain!
    • Posted

Yoga is great, I have been doing it for over 15 years.  Unfortunatelly, it doesn't resolves everything. Helps with the joint pain, hormon balance, stress. I do love it. 

I had an injury and hurt my lower back.  It took months to be able even to do a basic child's pose.  When I felt a little less sore and stiff, I started at home and when I felt better, I was back in class. Then, I started with the PERI symptoms, joint pain, tachicardia, dizziness and lack of breath, still I managed to go and always left class feeling much better.  I recommend. 

Mooma, if you are feeling too bad to go to class, buy a good video and follow the instructions at home.  The very best is to find a good teacher, for they give tips to every move, so you do not hurt yourself, instead.

Guys, avoid POTATO, I just ate some and I already fell dizzy.  How come?!

Cheers to all!

• Posted

Thank Kerry for that information! It is true I think if you realize that it is a lot of imbalances and that we can change them somewhat by simple diet changes and things to avoid ..help a great deal! Thanks again
  • Posted

Hi Kerry, that explains a lot. Ladies, as promised, here are some tips from my Mum (she is 68) and healthier than I am, she found this dietary tips for us:

Good for us: sesame seed and oil, papaya, asparagus, fish& meat, apples, carrots, ginger, cinnamon, honey, nuts. Brown rice better than normal one. Also, making love apparrently increases levels of estrogen (I know - she's my Mum!) Oh dear.

Bad for us : Wheat, sugar, citrus, potatoes, yes alcohol (shame) and chocolate, caffeine - we all knew that anyway. Just re-confirms the theory.

Hope you all have more of those painless days smile

Kat

• Posted

Kat, it is always good to know we are going the right way smile  Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Kat,

Way to go Mom !!! I absolutely love sesame and throw it on everything, it brings out the flavour of your veggies. Your mum is spot on with the diet and with her free sex advice! apparently if we don't use it we lose it!

• Posted

Hey Kerry.  I was doing some research on the role that cortisol plays on weight gain after a very unusual but wonderful experience.  While searching the net I came across your post even though it is 3 years old I thought I would share in this discussion as I can't contain my excitement.  In the last 6 months I have gone up 2 dress sizes and put on heaps of weight around the middle.    Very depressing as I have always been slim and put it down to menopause.  I had no idea that stress & menopause combined is a ticking time bomb. More depressing is the fact that I was bridesmaid to my sister getting married at the end of Sept. I tried loosing weight but failed.  I looked and felt very fat and very unhappy.  I hadn't seen my sister for a year and was jaw dropping shocked at how much weight she had lost and how well and happy she looked.  Despite the stress of arranging her own wedding single handedly she was floating through the day as serene as could be.  I was desperate to know her secret.  She shared that she was on an all natural product that directly normalised her cortisol levels combined with a potent extract from green tea which delivered high doses of anti-oxidants, detoxed and helped increase her metabolism while reducing fat storage.  I grabbed some of her product and for a week experienced the most incredible change in my entire well being.  Firstly I felt completely serene but more energised at the same time.  In the space of 2 weeks I have gone back down almost 2 dress sizes and lost at least 50% of my belly fat.  Despite the most hectic last minute pre-wedding activity we both thrived with calm and energy.  She absolutely glowed walking down the isle.  This experience has been so transformative that I am going to do a workshop on the role of cortisol on womens health, particularly on  weight gain & energy and share the nutritional solution that deals with the source of the problem as opposed to the symptoms.  I am happy to share this with you and the girls in this discussion who are interested.

• Posted

My cortisol levels are currently be monitored, I have been told to stop hrt for 6 weeks, it's a minefield, i would be interested to hear your recommendations, struggling with weight gain fatigue and fuzzy head!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.