Cortisol levels

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi to you all, I am a new member and my question that I need an answer too is what is the measuring scale that indicates a cortisol level.

I had the short synacthen test this week and my level is 155 from a previous blood test. I do not know if this is anything to be concerned about and the nurse couldn't answer my question.

For sure reading posts I share many experiences and have done so for several years.

Some information would be very welcome please...😊

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I found this online.

A normal response is defined as a 30 minute serum cortisol concentration greater than 540 nmol/L. The increment of cortisol at 30 minutes above the basal level is a measure of adrenal reserve whereas the absolute level gives an indication of adrenal sufficiency. However, the interpretation of results must take into account the stress level of the patient and the time of day of the test. For example, a stressed patient that is secreting all the cortisol that their adrenal gland can synthesise may have a basal cortisol >540 nmol/L with very little increment after 30 minutes but does not have adrenal insufficiency. When a raised basal level is not seen, a rise in cortisol at 30 minutes of at least 200 nmol/L should be expected. 

• Posted

Thank you I found this too but felt it was clear as mud. Notably because I have better days than others with a fuzzy head, cotton wool for brains and retaining information 😂

• Posted

Yeah I know what you mean, I used to have that feeling too the cotton wool head and brain malfunction with info, Have your thyroid been checked too as that gives a myriad of symptoms . I dont know what caused mine the cortisol or the thyroid problem..I just know it is a horrid feeling. Just keep pushing for answers..
    • Posted

Ooh ok at least you know.. I guess no medication yet for your thyroid which is great . ..so look at your diet and see if you can stop it progressing further...hope your mind is a bit more settled now you know. as the thyroid can effect how your adrenals work . .you should feel better once sorted yayyyyy

• Posted

See the Wikipedia article on Cortisol, "Normal levels".

It depends on the time of day but 155 is in the normal range though low rather than high if taken at 9 am.

[I'd love to know which body clock they use for their "9 am" - some people's normal day starts with a run at 05:30, I'm barely sentient by 08:30!]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.