Cortisol levels

Posted , 2 users are following.

Recently had my cortisol checked through my doctors office via a 24 hr saliva test. My results are as follows: 

8AM- 0.19 mcg/dL 

12PM- 0.10 mcg/dL

4PM- 0.19 mcg/dL

12AM-0.10 mcg/dL

The doctors office says these are within normal range, but is still referring me to a endocrin to explore my fatigue and growing issues further. 

These numbers do not seem normal to me however. Anyone have some insight to this? Thanks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I cannot understand the amount of cortisol levels you had. Are there any ranges or a curve  to compare the results with?  The 12 pm one looks very low to me. But you need to have a reference to compare them with... I had cortisol saliva tests with a curve and also an X to show where I was... then you can 'see it better'.

• Posted

The reference ranges according to the lab are- 

8-10 AM:        0.04-0.56 mcg/dL 

noon-2 PM:    < OR = 0.21 mcg/dL 

4-6 PM:       < OR = 0.15 mcg/dL 

10 PM-1 AM:   < OR = 0.09 mcg/dL 

So by those standards, normal. However the 8am range seems to be a vast one and I’m not sure how .04 is not considered low. From what I have read, I should be looking at a .5 first thing in the morning as normal, which would put me far below the mark. Also, my numbers are almost flat, there’s little variation in them and definitely not a curve. 

• Posted

8 am is low, because cortisol should be at its highest at that time, so people feel like getting up...exclaim

12 pm I think it is low also, it should not be 1/2 of the range so soon in the day.

4 pm should be lower than 12 pm...wink

12 am it is a bit high, just a bit.

I think it is a good idea  to see an endocrinologist. We hope it is a good one cool

I hope this helps. I live  down under and here we have a different time. (We sleep when you and up and vice versa !!!)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.