Cortisol levels and perimenopause

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi ladies,

I haven't been feeling too great these past couple of weeks and had bloods done this week. My doctor rang me to say that my cortisol bpn levels came back slightly raised for my age.

Had an ECG and blood clot test which came back fine.

Not sure what's causing it.

Has anyone else experienced this before? It's making me anxious

Thanks

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

from what i have read  cortisol and adrenaline levels go up during peri menopause . Your body releases extra to help compensate for the lack of hormones to keep your body running properly. Side effects are feeling anxious panicky and jittery/ easily startled .  its part of the journey... women often find that when they have another test its normal as it comes in spurts and then settles .  Thats why anxiety and feeling stressed out are so common at this time of life.  But as always best to keep a check on these things and rule out any other causes.
    • Posted

Thank you. Symptoms you mention are exactly what I've been experiencing- horrible! It's like a panic, and you can feel it in your chest.

I don't always get like this but it's gripped me these past couple of weeks.

I never used to get so anxious and do my best to control symptoms. Sometimes you feel helpless and scared and overthink..

Thanks for replying x

• Posted

It does get better.. trust me... this time last year i was a total wreck... waking with panic attacks.. constant anxiety and stressed within and inch of my life and all for no reason.  awful to say now but i did totally despair for my future and whether i could go forward feeling so bad day in and day out... I now feel so much better.. still get bad days but nothing like before and am getting days when i feel almost normal again. My periods stopped 4 months ago and everything improved overnight when that happened. So hang in there it does get easier  smile x
    • Posted

Thank you. I do hope so.

The lack of energy I can cope with but the dizziness and lightheadedness is an absolute nightmare.

Do you know if cortisol also causes these Symptoms?

I can't even go out because if it 😔

• Posted

Hi Dora... they are just basic peri and meno symptoms hun, most people get them to one degree or another, you will find that it will improve then something else will come to replace it for a while.. rolleyes  Ivw had everyone of the 66 official symptoms and more besides at one time or another.  Its just your body trying to balance without the hormones. We also have issues with brain chemistry at this time as hormones are essential for producing the correct levels of serotonin  etc.  this effects sleep/mood etc and also has an effect on fatigue and dizziness too. Also why women are prone to depression and general anxiety. Its the perfect storm of all the body systems going out of wack, some at the same time and others one after the other.  I found talking a good menopause multi vit helped.... also concentrated garlic tablets cod liver and evening promrose oil . I also had to remove sugar as that was making me far worse. felt aot better after i did that.  Dont do everything at once though .. just small steps. Also keep well hydrated  smile It does get bettter smile
  • Posted

Hi Dora - I am post menopausal and recently went to a naturopath to figure out why I feel so unwell.  I have also been battling with high blood pressure since entering menopause for which I have been treating with B/P RX.  The results from the saliva & blood was that while my hormones were low, they were in balance and that my cortisol was elevated, hence probably the reason for the sky high anxiety & elevated B/P.  I am trying everything in my power to keep my stress level to a minimum & to eat really well. For me, I find if I eat a lot of sugar or processed food or drink alcohol my anxiety goes up.  I truly believe that menopause messes with blood sugar, blood pressure & cortisol levels during this time - try to find new ways to de stress & be good to yourself & eat a clean healthy diet with lots of rest & exercise - easier said than done, I know - 

• Posted

Hi Debra.

I've been experiencing low and higher than usual bp these past few weeks, lightheadedness and dizzines, weakness... it can be debilitating because of these these symptoms.

I've always been a fit and healthy person who's always active and on the go, but find it extremely hard when experiencing these symptoms.

I've put it down to my irregular period patterns and hormones of course..

It's so annoying as it can affect your day-to-day life and make things so much harder. It's a struggle at times.

Hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Hi Dora - I am totally convinced that this peri/menopause nightmare wrecks havoc on all our vital organs...I just developed allergy induced asthma @ 60.  When I asked my allergy dr if there was a correlation to hormones, although she would not admit it, she did say she saw a increase in patients after their child birth years (hormones) & woman after menopause (hormones).  So now I can add asthma to my laundry list of symptoms that I get to deal with! Ugh!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.