Cortisone experience?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've had severe pain in big toe meaning I haven't been able to walk or basically go outside for 2 months. This is making me so depressed as I used to walk about 15km a day average and I spend as much time outside and in the gym as I can. I've also had to quit my job and am now just inside all the time.

It's sesamoiditis according to MRI. I had cortisone injection. Initially made it much worse for 3 days, now that pain and swelling is gone, but it's back to where it was before injection (which was on Tuesday 17th May).

I just want to know if theres still a chance steroid could work. And if so, does it work instantly or gradually? It's not painful passively, but there's a lot of swelling under the ball of my foot and that hasn't gone down.

I just want to know how steroid works and whether there's still hope it could work. I'm ridiculously depressed right now...

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've been reading about steroid injection and its common to return for a follow up injection . It works gradually, mine in elbow did.

Now, about being stuck inside. Sorry to hear that you're holding up inside.I had a bunionectomy in November and the other foot in December.

It's supposed to take up to a year to heal. I have ADHD and can't sit for a year, I've probably delayed my healing a little bit.

I moved into a new house in October as well, things are still not unpacked that's depressing.

I can only suggest a few things to help with the depression & being bored. I worked puzzles, went out & got sun everyday when I could.

I have a best friend that took me to sporting events, out to eat. I have a dog that kept me company. . I can't believe you had to quit a job, was that by choice?

Find something other than running that you love.Get as much son as you can. Best wishes..

• Posted

I've been reading about steroid injection and its common to return for a follow up injection . It works gradually, mine in elbow did.

Now, about being stuck inside. Sorry to hear that you're holding up inside.I had a bunionectomy in November and the other foot in December.

It's supposed to take up to a year to heal. I have ADHD and can't sit for a year, I've probably delayed my healing a little bit.

I moved into a new house in October as well, things are still not unpacked that's depressing.

I can only suggest a few things to help with the depression & being bored. I worked puzzles, went out & got sun everyday when I could.

I have a best friend that took me to sporting events, out to eat. I have a dog that kept me company. . I can't believe you had to quit a job, was that by choice?

Find something other than running that you love.Get as much son as you can. Best wishes..

• Posted

Michael, I guess your sesmoids are on bottom of toes? Maybe you haven't tried any of these.

Get a cushion for your shoe, get soft soled shoes, flexable. Ice it, soak.it in Epsom salt ask Dr first for all the above.

Can they go in and shave it? I put running in last reply, I meant walkng. I also forgot the most important issue for me. Stay away from refrigerator & candy! Be grateful for what condition you are in!. I had to look at my own rehabilitation as, it could be so much worse..

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your replies - I really appreciate it. I've tried to get outside more and I have to say it's really helping. I've also managed to get back into swimming which has been helping. 

I think the swelling is slowly coming down, though Iv'e started using Volterol gel on the ball of the toe. I'm still not convinved cortisone has done anything but I'm finding ways to get on with life a bit mroe now. 

Cutting out a hole from a thick insole and putting it in shoe has helped me get around a bit better.

Thanks again, I hope your recovery goes well and you get moved in properly soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.