Cortisone. Injection done whilst having a scan.

Posted , 10 users are following.

i have advanced arthritis of hips which is causing other problems. I would be considered for replacement but am in a difficult position as need another operation unrelated.

After talking to my GP i was asked if i would like to try a cortisone injection in my hip and although he can do this sort of treatment he thinks it best that i see a consultant and have it via a scan so that it goes to the correct place.

i forget what they call this procedure but am wondering if anyone has had it for advanced hip arthritis. i guess its going to be painful having to go in so deep...

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My wife had an ultrasound guided cortisone injection into her shoulder that helped her. She said that it was quite painful but well worth it.

• Posted

hi i also have arthritis in my hips.

i tried the injection via xray which was absolutely fine just a little painful. I had it while i waited on the list for a hip replacement which can take years.

I just had my hip replacement in August best decision ever and im only 32 years old!

So basically if you need this other operation then i would try the injection until the time is right for the replacement.

hope this help

Lindsey x

• Posted

Definitely a good idea to have the injection by a consultant via a scan - the biggest single reason that cortisone injections dont work is they have to be very accurately placed and if done by GP or without guided scan they arent always in the right place. My partner had them in both knees some years ago and no help. Then he saw a consultant privately recently who did them again and the difference was amazing. They are a little painful but not unbearable and a million times less painful than the pain you're probably having from the OA in the hip anyway.

• Posted

Only get injections with a scan. I don't remember what's called either. Otherwise you are wasting your time.

• Posted

It won't be painful as you will almost certainly get some sedation - or can ask for it - so you are mildly asleep while they do it. They use x ray to guide exactly where to ensure they are putting it in the right place. You wake up quite quickly and are immediately alert.

I had one in my spine and while it relieved pain I am no less stiff but it was only about 2 weeks so it may still work

• Posted

If you have the procedure done by an interventional radiologist, who will be told by your orthopedist where to place the cortisone, it is virtually painless. Interventional radiologists look like they are wearing space suits, you are kept in a very sterile environment while they give you this deep injection. They gave me enough anesthesia in the injection to last 6 hours for my long ride home. I had it done at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. I would not have it done by anyone else, who has less specialized training and does not work in such a sterile environment. The first shot proved the pain was coming from the hip, but it did not last too long, maybe 2-3 months. Second shot did nothing and after that they advise against anymore cortisone to the hip because it can degrade the bone, etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.