Cortisone injection hip does it help??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all I was diagnosed with arthritis in both hips a couple of weeks ago at the grand old age of 36. Have seen orthopaedic consultant who was lovely and went through treatment plan and he offered me a cortisone injection into the hip that's hurting. I just wondered what people's experiences of these were? At the moment the pain is tolerable, some days worse than others. I get a sharp pain if moving my leg on a certain way but mostly the pain is achy and irritating. Will it work on this type of pain? Should I try and wait until it gets really bad? 

Thanks in advance

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,, I'm a grand 76 and OA first hit my lower back at 18 and I've gotten thru life and maybe a couple cortisone injections in my life.....these can help for a while and sometimes they don't help at all.    I'm not one to take heavy duty drugs unless it's a major issue....I deal with a mess of OA body wide but take a lot of supplements to help with the arthritis and ibuprofen a  couple times per day and a stomach  protector of deglycerrized licorice...I'm in the U.S. and we use a lot of supplements.   Too much cortisone can break down our bones more....so caution.
  • Posted

If this is new pain,  you may have lots of  years to go with the arthritis....save the cortisone for when it's really really needed and then don't do a lot....steriods as I said will only break down bones more.  There is physical therapy and chiro and supplements and acupuncture and so much more to work with.......
  • Posted

Hi

I can only give you my opinion.....how it has affected me

After my 2nd hip replacement I had a fracture {which isnt going to heal} due to exercise and osteoporosis, My main site for the pain then was my pelovic bone.

If I tried to sleep on that side I woke up in agony

He gave me a cortisone injection in the side of my leg at the top., That was about 2 weeks ago and I have to go back 4 weeks time. Up to now it has worked for me. How long for I dont know.....we will see

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Thought I'd throw this out too, a lot of foods are pro arthritic:  sugar, carbs, meats, everything thing that is higher in acidic ...you can find anti arthritic foods charts on line and you can also find acidic vs alkaline food charts online as well.....good to know what we eat, eats us too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.