Cortisone injections

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had an accident in 2011 which resulted in a multiple displaced fracture of the ankle. Had metal plate and numerous screws put in during surgery which were all removed in 2013 due to complications. 

Been experiencing ongoing worsening pain and swelling since then and my surgeon suggested the only option was ankle fusion. 

He has done a number of cortisone/nerve block injections since then and proposes another one later this year. 

Can anyone tell me what the point of these injections are and why he would not just progress to the suggested surgery?  

I am sick of undergoing these injections and not getting anywhere...

Please advice on what purpose these injections serve?

Thank you in advance 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

From my understanding they are to help with pain and inflammation. However if you’ve already had several then I’m thinking they aren’t working for you like you would hope! I’m sure surgery is always the last option but if the pain isn’t going away I’d opt for surgery. I have a plate and 6 screws but only 6 months post surgery right now so I’m waiting a few months to see if the pain goes away otherwise put Gomes the hardware. I’m wanting it out to also prevent future stuff from happening. Good luck and I hope all goes well for you! 
  • Posted

Chris,

Sounds like you have been through a lot. It's a shame your initial ankle injury has now progressed in 6 years  to a stage where they want to perform ankle fusion on you.

Please remember that you don't have to stay with your current physician if you are unhappy with the treatment or care. And you can always get a second (or third) opinion. Ultimately, responsibility for your health care is in your hands.

My uninformed guess is that your doc is giving you all these injections now to 'prep' (perhaps get the inflammation and swelling under control) your ankle for the surgery he proposes.

Steroids like cortisone are anti-inflammatory agents. That's why they are injecting you-- to hopefully lower inflammation and pain.

Downsides to ankle injections are known to include risk of: cartilage and tendon damage, damage to veins and other tissues, and infection.

Because of risk of these side effects, ankle injections are generally limited to no more that 3 or 4 per year.

Best of luck to you.

• Posted

What an unfortunate experience you are going through.

Your surgeon should know what he is doing and why. Possibly he is following the rule that only so many cortisone injections are allowed in a year. Since the next injection will be by the end of the year; there may be a reason for the time lapse. Hopefully you trust your surgeon. If not, then maybe you do need a second opinion. If those opinions are the same or different; a third opinion would probably determine your decision.

Has anybody suggested a strong anti-inflammatory medication as well as one for pain?

I hope your ankle surgery will be soon and successful Chris!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.