Cortizone injection

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am currently experiencing OA on my second knee.

This one is more painful than the first one.

I have tried the following to relieve the pain

Ibuprofen gell + co-codamol......stomach upset & very drowsy

changed to

Fledene + paracetamol.....little relief

latest is

Voltarol Emulgel....early days as I've just started it today but.....

I am concidering cortizone injection......any advice would be much appreciated.

Also would like to know how long the coritzone injection will be effective as I know I can only get one per year.

Many thanks

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had two cortisone injections 10 years ago before I discovered how damaging cortisone is. Once I had that information I started looking at other pain management strategies. I have multiple joint OA with severe bursitis in hips and right ankle. I proved to be allergic to NSAID's - they make me disorientated - and I had a severe reaction to Cox 2 inhibitors which left me fighting for breath - so my doctor recommended Tramadol as a last ditch option. The initial dose was set at 100mg three times a day. A good friend had been taking Tramadol for years but it stopped working for her and she now survives on morphine injections so I wasn't happy about taking it but didn't see any alternative.

Five years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was worried about taking chemotherapy and Arimidex because both of these things damage bones and my bones can't take any more damage. After a lot of internet research I came across turmeric. It made a lot of sense to me so I decided to have surgery, radiation treatment and to rely on half a gram of turmeric three times a day post op. I have been taking turmeric for nearly five years now. When I started this I had no idea about the effect of taking turmeric on joint inflammation, in fact, I hadn't seen any discussion of this until quite recently, but, from my own experience, I can confirm that it works.

Over the course of several years I started to notice decreasing joint pain and was able to reduce medication until I am now on low maintenance - 1 50mg tablet Tramadol - in the evening and 3 half gram capsules turmeric with meals. When I get a more severe bout of pain I take a muscular relaxant.

To keep my joints flexible I swim every day - any other form of exercise is difficult.

I hope the information about turmeric helps you. If you do start taking it please be aware that it is a long-term strategy and the results don't show up for about 2-3 years. I know this is not going to assist you any in the immediate future but I hope the information is still worth having.

• Posted

My goodness Susan you have been in the wars. I'm sorry to hear all this has been happening to you. Good for you though to keep fighting. It's the only way isn't it!

Interesting about Tramadol and turmeric. What works for one ......it's trial and error as treatments that help some don't for others.

I'm just new to OA and it's the pits, it's the constant sensation of very sore stinging feeling in my knee that's the worst part.

Waiting for x-ray confirmation but as it's the same symptoms as my other knee that has been diagnosed donor expecting any surprises there.

Take good care and thanks for your input.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.