cortizone knee injection given on opposite side of pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Dr said this is how they do it...Is this normal? Knee felt good for about 6 hrs (I think from the freezing medicine); but it wore off and I had pressure and aching pain from midcalf to above knee. Along wiith that, a terrible headache which I still have 17 hrs after the shot...Has anyone else encountered any of

these occurences? Has anyone had the shot given on opposite side of pain in knee?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I was told every doc does the injections the way they feel is best. Is no set standard. I asked same question as my new doc did it different then my old doc. Every one I talk to tells me a different story as to how cortizone affects them.usually pain is a constant between them. It lasts 2or3 days . I had the doc hit a vein or blood vessel before. Made my knee swell up so bad I couldn't bend it for a day.

• Posted

I couldn' t bend mine either, felt worse than before but I took some ibuprofen , had a very restless night and knee felt much better in the a.m.

However my headache was still there so I took some more ibuprofen and they helped.

• Posted

Hi Christine my GP also did shot on opposite side. Mine bled profusely although I didn't notice at first due to the freezing. I also had bad head ache and insomnia for the night and terrible heart palpitations. These are all possible side effects. My pain relief only lasted about 5/6 hours and am now waiting for TKR still nothing ventured eh!

Best wishes on a speedy recovery

Debs

• Posted

Got a injection one time bled bad to. No idea what she hit. Never had one bleed like that before. I know I have gotten over 70 synvisc needles in the past years. Only had that 1 time it bled bad. Lol. Nurse held a gauze 4x4 on it for a good 20 minutes before she could put one of those huge bandaids on it.
    • Posted

Thanks Deb, I'm so glad mine didn't bleed; so sorry yours did,,,I would have really freaked out...Happy to say its so much better today...Ibubrofen helped knee and headache...

Good luck with TKR!

• Posted

Sorry, to hear about your bleeding...I think I answered you when I thought it was another person...that's alot of needles hopefully you don't need them anymore.

• Posted

It takes 24 to 48 hours for the steroid to start doing the work that its intended to do. Did they not tell you to stay off the leg as much as possible for the 1st few hours and apply ice? Everything should start falling into place shortly and then you'll find out if its going to work.

• Posted

They told me because of the freezing it wouldn't hurt so much at first and it didn't,,,he said to not overdue anything but nothing about ice or how bad it was going to feel after freeze wore off... I was able to walk almost 4 miles today and so far so good...I think I paniced prematurely.

• Posted

Don't overdo the exercise

Just because it feels o.k. while doing it doesn't mean you'll be able to get out of bed I the morning. Work into distance slowly

• Posted

My cortizone was always given on the same side as the pain.Having said that it is a long time since I have had cortizone and they may have changed their method of giving it now.

Sarah

• Posted

Old doc used to give injections in the side of my knee. New doc goes in the front. When I asked about it they said there's a couple ways to do it. The side was better. Way less pain. Lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.