Cost of HOLEP operation in London or Cambridge?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I wonder if anyone can give me a ball park cost of HoLEP in UK?  I live in Hong Kong where the procedure is not available and would need to fly in and stay in hotels. I like what I've read about the surgeons in Cambridge and London.  My prostate is 150 grams so an operation is really the only choice. 

Thanks in advance for any input.

Pete

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Buddy.  If your going to spend all that money for a Holep  Why not go and have a FLA done.  It would fix the problem and there would be very little side effects.  Look it up  Take care  Ken
    • Posted

It's MRI guided Focal Laser Ablation of the prostate. It's performed by Interventional Radiologists who by using a 3T high definition real time MRI image, ablate the specific problematic prostate tissue by placing a 1.85mm fibre optic laser in your prostate and precisely controling it's placement down to accuracy of 1mm and how much energy to use to treat your exact problem areas and not the areas that would cause you negative sexual  side-effects or damage nearby importaant structures. The men who have done it on this forum are having spectacular results so far which inspired me to go get it done last week.

There's a lot of information on this forum about MRI guided FLA and I highly recommend you take the time to read through it before making a final decision. My prostate is 98CC and two of the others who are doing extremely well had 125g and 175g prostates. Large prostates are not excluded, quite the contrary.

I'd be happy to tell you more if you want to know.

Good Luck 

Ross

• Posted

Ross, thanks so much for getting this info to me. I really appreciate it and will certainly look it up. This is completely new to me.

Pete

• Posted

No Problem Peter. There are many urological procedures for BPH that I consider to be untargeted and barbaric; get the patient peeing again regardless of the potential for collateral damage to the patient. FLA will NEVER be recommended by a urologist as it's not in their specialty despite the fact that it is showing such wonderful promise as a procedure of choice for BPH.

• Posted

Peter Ross is explaning it to you alot of men are going for that because it fixes the problem and there are no side effects  I don't know if you are worryied about sex after but a holep will cause some sexaul problem and retro ejaculation.  Good luck  Ken

• Posted

What Ross is saying is true.  The urologist main concern is to get you to pee better no matter what it cost you.  If something else happen they will fix that and so on ands so on.  With FLA and some of the others get it fix and move on with your life  Ken
    • Posted

Im scheduled for Holep in Phoenix mayo, with insurance 80%paid I will pay 4 to 5 grand, I email the FLA in california but not sure being out of state insurance might not pay but i will look into it, Didnt see much feed back on Fla.With the Holep there is only 1% of re dos, as fr as retro finasteroid did that to me and It was weird but still had orgaism .

Do you know what FLA re do rate is?

• Posted

Hi Ross

How are you, I looked up FLA, I sent in for info to a place in California, were did you get procedure done and what was the cost?

• Posted

I had never heard of FLA until yesterday. From what I have read up to now it appears to be about cancer more than bph. But as I say this is completely new to me.

I would not travel to USA for the op. Too far. I'm from London originally.

Pete

• Posted

That's what I got from what I was reading, about FLA and cancer, I was told by Mayo Phoenix doctor that 13% of HOLEP found cancer even if PSA were low, I'm not so worried about retro ejaculation the drugs gave me it already when I was on finasteroid pills

• Posted

That right there is a lie  Holep is not 1%  I don't know who told you that but there wrong  I just read a article and it said that retro ejaculation is a given with that surgery  Read up on it on the internet.  If the doctor told you that he just want you to have the surgery.  After it done you can't do anything.  That was from a pill  I had that with flomax a rapaflo.  The first time it happen I stopped the pills and went back to normal.  I had no feeling and no ejaculation.  So it felt like I did nothing  I will not live the rest of my life with that.  What is your problem  Is the prostate blocking  Have a urolift it will open you up  Had mine done over 2 years ago and it's great  No side effects.  Look up FLA prostate procedure  it will give you all the information you are looking for.  Cancel the holep and get more information and give yourself some time.  You deserve that  Ken 

• Posted

For me, and I suppose for many, this has been a long match. My PSA has been around 20 for years, I have had 2 biopsies cancer not found, I'm full of stones and my prostate bleeds quite often. Prostate size is 150 grams. As for the op it's a case of between the devil and the deep blue. I wish you good luck with your op

Pete

• Posted

Thanks Doctor Hong in Phoenix tried to do Urolift on me but I have a curve prostate and the rigid Urolift tube won't make the turn ,he's done hundreds and I was first one that failed, he did put one in but could not get into bladder to reload tool ,and it was too painful, he doesn't give pain meds for procedure.i was told if I had to be put under Anastasia may's as well get Green light, HOLEP is less avasive then green light

• Posted

I know, about that long for me to Urolift didn't work for me but may work for you, I did it first because it helps a lot of people.

• Posted

If he was able to get the one in just pull it out and reload that way.  I think if he tryed hard enough he could have gotten it in.  I am going to ask my urologist  Never heard of a curved prostate.  It tissue and should have been able to move out of the way I still would not let him cut my prostate.  What ever you do is what you have to deal with That is not for me  My prostate will state with me till the day I die no matter what  Have a great day  Ken 
    • Posted

Thanks Ken

He said if I was out, he could have done it,

they were pushing my balls down so hard, he had me move down on table and pushed down but by that time I was so tight didn't think to ask why they didn't give pain medicine, I didn't go back to him I decided to go to Mayo Phoenix, He a Harvard University guy ,1st time he was not able to do it. I had retro ejaculation from finasteroid pills and didn't really bother me much, just lost job at Honeywell and will only have insurance till September or pay 1200 a month so have to do something, the Ciales is 500 a month and flomax 50,stream, I'm 62 so will be 3 years till Medicare ???

• Posted

You could still find a doctor to put you out and do it.  I would never let them do it with me awake.  Medicare paid for mine  I am on SSD and have it.  If you have it done and stop the pills your ejaculation wiill come back.  Please done let insurance dictake what kind of surgery you have please.  Don't give up on your body.  I will fight for it till the end.  I'm 61 and still have a very intence orgasm.  Orgasm with the pill is different for when you have your prostate cut away at.  Some men say they don't care but after it done.  They have a problem even having sex and the orgasm is not the same.  Some give up sex all together.  Please check into it again  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.