Cost of Prostate operations in UK

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am trying to persuade my Dr to have either the embolistaion or TURP (prefer the first). Has anyone experience of pushing to get this done and been successful? I have tried Tam, Fin, Dox and other but they all give me intense muscle problems in back and leg with even my left hamstring being a permanent problem when I walk.

Any advice appreciated.

PS I have now got to have cateract surgery which I think is due to these drugs. No history of this in my family!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, forgot to ask if anyone has actually paid for it in the UK and how much it cost in total. Thanks.

• Posted

I you check recent heath articles in the Daily Mail there was one by a Guy and his Radiologist on the procedure. The NHS cost was quoted at £2,500 and private £3,500.

• Posted

First, TURP and PAE are performed by different specialties. TURP (aka roto rooter) is performed by urologists. PAE (prostatic artery embolization) is performed by an Interventional Radiologist. In the US, both are covered by insurance. Each specialty will deride the other, and the other's procedure. PAE, however is the less invasive and presents the least side effects. It is an outpatient procedure and you will leave without a catheter. Improvements will slowly happen as the hyperplasic tissue dies off. This should be complete in six months. All sexual function is retained in 95% of cases.

TURP will require a foley catheter for a minimum of 3 days, up to a month. RE (retrograde ejaculation) is a certainty. ED is likely.

• Posted

Be sure to let the doctor performing the cataract surgery know that you have been taking alpha blockers (particularly tamsulosin). There is a chance that you have floppy iris syndrome and they need to know because they have to take additional steps during the surgery.

• Posted

My surgeon said why do they give me the difficult ones and I had not taken Tamsulosin for very long.

• Posted

PAE, Urolift, and TURP are all available for free on the NHS in the UK. If you want a particular treatment you need to ask your doctor to refer you to the hospital/consultant that performs that procedure. From my referral it took about 10 months to get a Urolift but that was only because there was a cancellation come up. If you want faster service, you have to go private. I would think around £4500 to £6000 for a PAE done privately which is why some people have travelled to Lisbon (there's a good PAE doc there apparently) which works out cheaper even with travel costs.

• Posted

Andrew,

If you are referring to Dr Pisco in Lisbon, he passed away in March 2019. There are probably doctors he has trained there though.

Thomas

• Posted

Note: its not just the procedure you have to pay for its the consultations, cystoscopy's, MRI's whatever. Mine were all NHS. Unfortunately in my case the cystoscopy was not performed by the urologist and the report was inaccurate and had mistakes so we did not have a proper picture before my op. Cystoscopy report said no median lobe and bladder neck normal. The trans-rectal MRI showed I did have a median lobe. The Uro (after my op) said the median lobe was pushing up on the bladder neck and shutting it off but by the time he figured that out I was already anaethetised for the Urolift so he went ahead with that. I would ideally have liked to have considered my options having known what the problem was.

The point is that if you pay privately, you will probably get the Uro do everything himself rather than underlings.

• Posted

I am eleven days into post HOLEP procedure. For me the motivation was to protect my kidneys due to acute retention. (1.2 litres) and to get off Tamsulosin 400. Prostate in my case 88gm. So far minimal bleeding, no ED problems, no incontinence just a little discomfort rather than pain. Yes, I now have RE but I had that anyway with the Tamsulosin and at 74 I am not trying for a family! Orgasms so far OK. I went privately and paid around £6000 all in. This was the best procedure for me and I did not undertake the decision lightly having researched my options for around two years. A random renal blood test was the trigger for me to do something as my kidneys were under severe stress. Any longer and I might have gone along the path to dialysis. As I say, it worked for me and so far with almost no adverse after effects other than I can now void 500ml in seconds. Result! If you PM me I can let you know the name of the consultant.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.