Costo advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I've started getting costo symptoms again since October/November last year when I thought I had a heart problem - this was a very stressful time but luckily I saw the right doctor who pressed firmly on my ribs and confirmed the pain was my ribs as I sat there in agony lol

I don't feel like I need to go to the doctors about it again this time even though the pain is getting worse , just because there is nothing to get rid of the pain

However i am looking for some advice on whether it would be a good idea to quit my job so I can rest more (I'm due to leave late august anyway to go to uni). I really do not want to do this but this pain is so awful I would do anything to get rid of it

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katie

sorry to hear the Costo is playing up again. I had it for 4 years without being diagnosed.  the pain followed the ''cardiac route'' but all cardiac tests were clear. eventually I got diagnosed by a new GP when I moved house. she immediately commenced me on Nortryptline.  we experimented to get the optimal dose and I'm on 40 mgs at bedtime. I remain pain free. the pain for me was excrucsation. 

hope that helps.

C

• Posted

Wish my gp would do the same . He doesn't seem to like the idea because I'm on tramodol and he feels that's strong enough even though I've told him it isn't working . Do you think nortryptiline would help my thoratic pain too

• Posted

Hi Ray.

that's really annoying as I know how painful and debilitating Costo pain can be. I don't think GP's realise how debilitating it can be. I don't understand why they won't give it a try, since the Tramadol (which is addictive) isn't doing the job.  how about going to another GP in the practice. When I first presented with the Costo., I had the usual ''cardiac'' teststo rule out a cardiac condition. once these were clear, the GP's didn't seem to be bothered, to the degree at one point saying it was ''psychomatic'' i.e. all in my head??? however, I kept going back and apparently, if you keep going back (at least 3 times) they seem to ''listen'', so perhaps it might be worth changing Gp's and to keep persisting.  I wish you luck. 

c

• Posted

Hi caitlin I totally agree with you . I'm so fed up and low . I have terrible thoratic spine back pain too at same time or even by itself and now not sure if that is separate issue or part of costo . I wIll talk to another gp for sure

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.