Costochondritis???

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been having central chest pain and weird breathing for 7 months. I have been to A&E twice, had MANY ECGs, chest xray, bloods, blood pressure checks, gastroscopy, etc, etc, and docs keep telling me that i am 'fit and well'. But the fact is that I often feel like I am dying. The pain is sudden and stabbing and the breathing thing is terrifying. Like a rising sensation in my chest followed by the feeling my breathing has stopped. It sometimes causes dizziness. Sometimes the pain and breathing thing happen together, sometimes separate. I AM generally fit and well, I gym 3 times a week and walk miles each week so am pretty fit but this is massively affecting my life. I now suffer severe anxiety and panic attacks which is affecting my work. And most people i know think it's just in my head! My GP suggested Costo but says there is no test to say for sure. How frustrating! He also said that the pain can feel like a heart attack. Well, that is EXACTLY what i feel is happening. Several times every day! Do i have to live my life with this pain and fear now? I am getting help with the anxiety (CBT) but this obviously does not take the chest pain/discomfort away. Does my experience sound familiar to anyone else? Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I know it's really scary I have had it for years.it will liten up. somewhere you had to have some kind of chest truma . and that's what gives you pulled muscle in you chest. my starts in my rib on the bottom . and some time I can move a quick way or bend down to pick something up and its a sharp pain that will knock the wind out of me. had all kind of testing around 10 years ago everything. came back fine and a MRI won't show it.. I use my fingers to rub it and to get it to let up. hot and cold will help it to.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is scary. It's possible I picked up an injury at the gym last summer. My pains come on while sitting still. I don't have to move at all. How is your breathing?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.