Costochondritis

Posted , 7 users are following.

I notice I often get costochondritis (chest inflammation) mimicking a heart attack. Is that common with fibromyalgia? What can I do to eliminate this? It not only hurts but gets quite scary.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi sickntired it can be quite common in fibromyalgia. I have experienced it and I was rushed to A&E for a suspected heart attack, all tests were done everything came back normal. I would have a word with your gp about it. As from what Ive read it said it needs treating seperatly from fibro. I dont take anything for it I just let it take its cause and breath through it. I know how scary it can be as it does mimic a heart attack any chest pain needs to be checked out by a gp. to rule anything else it could be that is what I did. Personaly speaking if I was you I would your see your gp. take care gentle hug 
  • Posted

I had that just a few weeks ago, I did go to the hospital thinking it was a heart attack an all test was normal. It lasted about a week. I took a few baby aspirin an it helped but came back. It was off an on for about a week.

Wish you well I know how you feel.

• Posted

hi their i had a heart attack when i was 42 and that was terrible then in the last 5 years ive been rush to hopsital so many times for chest pain and it was all fine now i realise it was the fibro, now i have learned what is my heart and what is fibro but its still hard and very frighting , but i would never take a chance even if you feel a right lemon always best to get checked out, have they ruled out angina as well if you speak to your doctor about your concerns im sure they will help love an best wishes cherl
  • Posted

This is very interesting as I've been experiencing things with my chest too! I tend to get them if I become anxious, or lifting etc.... It's quite scary and takes a while to settle too x
  • Posted

This is very interesting...  I to have wondered about my chest/neck/arm and back shoulder area.  I get a deep painful ache and tightness that radiates up deep into the side of my neck, deep in my chest and through into my back. The top of my shoulder tightens up to and it radiates down my arm.  I get this quite often.  I do fear sometimes that I am having minor HA's...  Certainly wouldn't like a full blown one!    I have heard of the 'devils claw' which is a muscle cramping round the heart region, mimicing a HA.  
  • Posted

Very odd but after reading this post on Monday and seeing how I get something similar, out of the blew I had the most painful experience and ended up in hospital. All tests came back clear and the doc said it is anxiety related. Had another small episode just now on my way to work too. Very odd and scary too x
    • Posted

Hi Katharine I too have had several episodes and like you was rushed in with a suspected heart attack. the tests I had came back clear. I have read that costochondritis has to be treated seperatly to the fibro, know Im only going off what Ive read. but I wonder if its worth having a chat to our gps about it and see what they say. it is frightening when it happens and not ver pleasent. stress worry dont help with it, also it doesnt help our condition as it makes the pain we are in even worse. Im going to have a word with my gp,and see what she says. Take care gentle hugsmile 
  • Posted

I just really feel like my body is falling apart. First being told I have fibro and now with this issue too, I wonder if I will ever function properly again and be the person and mother I want to be. The issue with my chest is so scary and comes on at random. Getting so fed up with it all x
    • Posted

Hi Katherine my advice is go and see your gp she will help you and also you will have peace of mind and get help which you need. as for us functioning properly while we have fibro I dont think that will happen hun. you will be the best mum ever because you will love your child and do the best by your child what ever your dealing with. please see your gp take care gentle hug 
  • Posted

I have been diagnosed with Costochondritis also. It was been the worst pain I have ever suffered.  It started with me going to ER thinking I was having a heart attack.  I suffered in pain for 7 weeks.  I was given pain meds through an IV which didnt alleviate my pain so on top of IV pain meds they gave me pain pills.  FInally I got relief.  Soon after the pain returned I tried chiroprator and got no relief.  I went to a Acupuncturist and ............... I got relief smile  I continued to do acupuncture and massage during the 7 weeks.  Got an attack 4 months later went straight to acupuncturist and got releif.  I am continuing my acupuncture treatment and getting massages even though im not in pain, doing it as a preventitive measure.  I dont want that pain. Its awful ;(   But that is what works for me I wanted to share that with you all.  I also take a magnesium supplements. I will be starting fish oil I read on here that it worked for someone. I wish you all healing in your body. Costo is painful and ugly. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.