Costochondritis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey everyone, I know this thread has been inactive for awhile but I figured I'd post. I'm a very anxious person, and last weekend was given amoxicillin for strep and pink eye. Soon after that, after lifting, I started getting a lot of heavy pressure in the middle of my chest/my sternum. I thought I was having a panic attack. I rushed to the dr because the emergency room is so expensive, and I was there over the summer with chest pain and they did an EKG, d dimer, blood test, and chest x ray, all normal so I know I don't have a heart problem. Anyway, I went to the dr and she checked out my chest area and had me walk with a pulse ox to make sure I didn't have a blood clot. She said she thought my sternum/chest area was inflamed, likely from a combination of stress(I'm very stressed right now) and lifting. She said to take Advil 3 times a day for the next few weeks and wait for it to get better. She didn't explicitly say "you have Costochondritis" but I feel like that's what the inflammation is. I don't have too much pain particularly, but I have a very heavy crushing pressure on my chest. Sometimes it feels hard to breathe, but that aspect is probably my anxiety. Just wondering if there's anything I should do/any advice. I'm 18 by the way. Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Charlie. I get hat as wel. Sometimes I get pain, and sometimes I have pressure in my chest or abdomen. My Dr. said thats normal for Costro. Advil helped my in flammation too. I also take somthing for anxiety that helps alot. Thank God. Anxiety and Costro somtimes go hand in hand. Hang in there!!! You will feel better soon! We are all in this together. smile smile smile

• Posted

Hi Grace smile thanks so much for your reply. It means a lot. Last night I had such heavy pressure in my sternum that it triggered my anxiety. Sometimes it makes it hard to take deep breaths and I go into a panic or anxiety attack. Does your pressure fade in and out? Sometimes it's really present other times not. I'm going to get medicine for my anxiety tomorrow, as these two interact very poorly. Hope you're doing well.

• Posted

Glad to help. Right now I"m feeling pretty good. Just finished a course a  advil. for a week. Yes the pressure does go in and out. Seeing a counselor helps me alot. Also Anti anxiety meds help alot. soft ice packs help alot as  well. Thanks. hope you feel beeter real soon...you will!!!!!  smile

• Posted

Glad you're doing well. Ive got Ativan to manage right now, and then I start Zoloft tomorrow. Yeah the flare ups of pressure just scare me, but the dr listened to my heart and lungs and said it was just the inflammation, so I've just gotta deal with it. I'm also on amoxicillin for strep and pink eye and that makes me feel terrible as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.