Costochondritis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Guys so after 12 weeks and 21 visits to A&E i got my diagnosis. All tests , 15 xrays, 2 abdomen ultrasounds, ct scan, mri small bowel scan, endoscopy (small hiatel hernia) colonoscopy, ct aniogram all clear. Im still having the constant dull ache and sharp stabbing pains on movement, bending, reaching, twisting, when going over speed humps or round corners in car, shortness of breath even through conversation. Then being put on antidepressants because they found nothing else. A surgeon said it was Costocondritis, i then went to out of hours doctor who confirmed it by pressing my sternum in centre of chest. So i still have it. I now can only take paracetamol, voltarol gel and heat pad. Does anyone else have this as mine causes upper abdomen pain too and im struggling to manage my kids (im a carer for one) and i lost 2 stone in weight. What else can i use please sad

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I'm quite similar to you kerry, I'm in agony pressure round rib heavy arms shoulders and from yesterday pressure round bottom of back, dr exaimed me suspects gastritis. When I get in vehicles going over bumps round roundabouts even getting dressed is awful as is twisting door handles raising arms. I've had fibroscan 5 weeks ago that didn't show anything n I'm booked to have another one in 3 half weeks blood tests are showing low white blood cells n imflamation has gone from 34 in august to 99. Due to my liver problems I have autoimmune liver disease I can't take paracetamol so I'm struggling by just having hot water bottles on pain 

• Posted

Hiya, i was told it was Gastritis by one doctor too but im not being sick with it. I get pain in my right side too and just under ribs. When the bottom of sternum is pressed its extreme pain. Will see my proper doctor soon. Have they not given you a endoscopy? Winds me up cos said mine was clear except hernia. 2 months later no test but have gastritis lol now costo sad
  • Posted

No I haven't been offered a endoscopy nothing has been said about having one. I absolutely scared stiff about having one but I need go know whats going on with me. No I haven't been sick either but feel sick a lot. I have to wear non under wired bras now as the pain is awful in that area too, when I told my dr about my arms shoulder pain he said it's muscular and that was that, I feel really frustrated about the whole thing and will be going back to my drs as I said the pains now radiating into my back it's hard to get up from bed in mornings every way I turn I'm in agony

• Posted

Oh it sounds very similar to mine rolleyes if your on facebook i can add you to the page and then you may find out more. It took weeks for me to find out. Lost 2 stone and thought i was dying at one point sad
    • Posted

Ended up spending 3 hrs in a n e this afternoon awful pain going into both arms shoulders back n under n around ribs dr saw me sent me home after examining me saying they couldn't do anything they could give me pain killers but the painkillers could mask whats going on so wasn't given any but was told I must get in to see my own drs tomorrow and tell them they need to get me sorted getting me sent for tests to see whats going on so back again to drs tomorrow 

• Posted

Well 155 repeat rings to get my drs receptionists to pick up fone this morning I eventually got through only to be told no drs available so I'm in with a nurse today hopefully I can get the relevant tests I need booked and get the ball rolling so can proceed to find out what is going on with me I will let you know what is said later 

• Posted

Last night ended up in a n e for second time in four days excruciating pain like electric shock spasms all round n under left rib I lost balance n fell backwards couldn't move ended up with ambulance taken to hosp gas air chest X-ray normal all bloods normal apart from two liver ones no painkillers given told I could take paracetamol but mo anti imflammatories I'm home and still in pain taking omperazole at night so fed up of all this pain n discomfort been like this for several weeks no endoscopy ordered or colonoscopy no ultra sound either just second fibroscan 

• Posted

Sorry kerry not on facebook only twitter yes I know exactly what you mean it's just so horrible feeling like this isn't it keep in touch please 

• Posted

Ru in uk
    • Posted

Wow im sorry you are going through this too. Its terrible. My tests are always clear too except seeing cardiologist tuesday and Chiropractor monday but i will let you know if chiropractor any good. Buy a heat pad and use that. Also i use volterol gel over the chest
    • Posted

Oh I had ECG I forgot that that was fine thank goodness  I'm sitting here with hot water bottle on my rib area yes I could get voltoral I will try anything 

• Posted

Have you ever had a chiropractor check out your spine? A disk slightly out of place can tremendous pain in sternum area and upper front ribs!
  • Posted

I had costochondritis for three months and it was diagnosed by a physical examination only. I was advised to take Ibruprofen, use a non wired bra and wait it out. I had it from October 2014 until January 2015.  In the end I didn't need to take any medication or change my bra.   Some people have it chronically and need painkilling injections.  My pain was all over my breast area, particularly the sides, down my ribcage and marginally round my upper back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.