Costochondritis

Posted , 6 users are following.

im 40 year old with 3 kids and for such a long time now I've had pain in my right shoulder, which I've had injections for to ease the pain ,going down my arm and neck pain . I've been the doctor so many time over this and told it's just muscle strain , I also have pain and a burning sensation in the side of my right breast along with pain under my breast , feels like it's coming from the ribs . could it be costochondritis?? I do quite abit of lifting and carrying as my 6 year old has special needs so I know I've done some muscle damage over the years . anyone else had anythink like this ,its not doing my health anxiety any good at all .

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

If you think the pain could be primarily in your rib cage, maybe. My pain is in my ribs - front and back - chest, sternum, under my breasts. Although I sometimes have pain down my arm (but never in my shoulder), it's different from muscle strain. Lifting always makes the pain worse in my rib cage and nothing helps aside from cold packs. I also have neck pain, but it is not related to the costo. Do the injections help? They wouldn't help the costo. You could have two different things going on...have you asked your doctor about the possibility?

• Posted

Hi

I'm 43 with 2 kids so in a similar situation. My doc thinks i have Costo. My pain is mostly either side of my sternum. Have been told it might feel like a heart attack which is certainly what i thought was happening when i ended up in an ambulance with it. Also creates breathing issues which seems to be common with this. My anxiety has been awful with it too as it's difficult to believe it's nothing serious when the pain is so strong. I have never experienced it in my shoulder or as a burning sensation though. Have you had any type of scan on your shoulder? Costo wouldn't show up, apparently, but ligament damage to your shoulder would.

• Posted

I've had MRI on my neck which showed no sign of anythink serious . it's always put down to all the lifting I do which my daughter

• Posted

Hi Louise,

Have you seen a physiotherapist or osteopath?

• Posted

yes I've had physio on my shoulder which didnt really help but the injection did

• Posted

the injections have been helping my shoulder pain yeah, I know what's caused the tho its lifting and carrying daughter who is disabled. the rib pain feels like its deep in the breast and my sternum and bottom ribs are tender sometimes . I also get armpit pain too . I've had checks and many doctors give me a physical examination and they haven't found any lumps or anythink sinister bit I still worry

• Edited

Louise,

Sure sounds like costo - mine was the same. I went to an osteopath (she is also a physiotherapist) and she basically fixed it, by manipulating my ribs at the back, where they were misaligned because of lifting. Costo is a structural issue, so see an osteopath who is familiar with it. And don't worry - if the doctors have found nothing wrong with your heart or any lumps, get some physical therapy. And take ibuprofen - it really helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.