Costochondritis

Posted , 6 users are following.

can someone please help me to put my mind at rest i have been diagnosed with costochondritis about three weeks ago but the pain is so bad its going into my stomach down my ribs and even in my neck also my arm is in pain it is making me just feel generally unwel ive also been having constant palpitations is this normal for costo

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Edited

If you are having palpitations, you should contact your doctor. Costo is chest and rib pain and it feels sore to touch (and sometimes just sore). It could be nothing, but you won't know until you are evaluated. When you talk to him, tell him about your other symptoms, too.

• Edited

i did go to A&E while i was getting the palpitations and had a ECG and it came back normal but i am going to contact my doctor again

• Edited

i can't remember how many e c g i had among other tests was misdiognosed until i did all the research myself and the doctor said yes everything points to costo. That was two years ago i was due to have accupuncture before the virus breakout. i do think sometimes the palpitations can be brought on with anxiety. But dont give up keep asking questions and have any test you feel you need

• Edited

It is always best to get checked out but i've had a full check up and i get palpitations with my costo plus everything else you mentioned

• Posted

hi im so glad i am not the only one who has palpitations with it does your palpitations become constant ?

• Posted

i also had a full check up last week in A&E and it all came back normal

• Posted

can you recommend anything to get rid of them or what can i do to get rid of costo pain as ibuprofen doesnt get rid of the pain

• Edited

Nothing really stopped them but they will calm down just try stay calm until they pass if it becomes too much visit your GP again. Everyone has different ways of dealing with the pain. I don't take anything apart from paracetamol but i do recommend ice packs and heat also i was told by my pain clinic to apply ibuprofen gel on my ribcage but if you are taking it in tablet form i wouldn't use the gel as well. the gel also makes you light sensative so be careful if you are sunbathing . Do a bit of research to see what might help you but don't google too much that could make you feel worse. everyone has different pain i went from crippling chest pain to awful rib pain. until i can go to the pain clinic again its just trying to get as comfy as possible. Hope i have bee

n some help and not gone on too much. You are not alone but i know how scary this can be but it is not life threatening although i know at times it feels that way

• Edited

I have palpitations related to my heart rhythm. One thing I have found to be very helpful is to cut back on caffeine. I agree that they also may be caused by or exacerbated by anxiety.

For pain I use ice packs and ibuprofen. The meds don't really help. I am also very careful about using my arms too much or doing any heavy lifting. I can get a really bad flair if I am not careful.

• Posted

thank you for the advice and meds dont really work for me either and me to i try and avoid having a flare up as their the worst x

• Edited

hi Crystal all the symptoms you have described are synonymous for costochondritis. This is the second time I have had it and all of those symptoms especially in the abdomen. I find the heating pad helps me the most. And I am most achy at night opposed to the daytime. The first time I had it two years ago it lasted eight months. It can leave as quickly as it comes, there is no cure. I have done extensive research on this and seen several doctors which have given me inflammatory and pain pills which don’t really help that much. most of these symptoms make you think it is something else but it is not and a lot of people suffer from Costco. It does help to talk about it and know that others have the same problems. go on YouTube or type in exercises for costochondritis there are a couple good ones on there that do help. Good luck. KATHY

• Edited

hi kathy its such a horrible condition and the symptoms are awful everytime ive seen a doctor at the hospital and ive asked them are palpitations or pain in the arm a symptom of costo and they all say no which makes me worried but since ive found this site patient and read everyones experiences many have those symptoms so it makes me think why did the doctors tell me it isnt related to costo i wanted to ask to do you have a tight chest with costo ? like there is a tight band around your chest ??? and a heating pad is amazing for me it helps alot but painkillers and iburprofen doesnt help me at all and thanks for the advice i sure will watch them videos on youtube x

• Posted

Hi Crystal, thanks for your message. I do have the palpitations sometimes but rarely have the left side pain that you mentioned. Sometimes at night the chest feels really tight and I almost feel like I am having indigestion. I have taken Tum’s on occasion. my stomach sometimes feels like I am hungry when I know I am not. Some days I have more energy than others. my chiropractor helped me before and I am thinking about going back but do not want to get out with the pandemic. I am 73 and have lymphoma so my immune system is compromised, I have to be careful. Be sure and check out the exercises they might help . Kathy

• Edited

Hello Chystal.

Four years ago I was diagnosed with heart decease because of chest pain and was prescribed drugs which made me feel ill, causing anxiety and palpitations.

Sometime later I went to see a brilliant Osteopath for neck pain. I explained to him about my chest pain that wouldn't go away. After asking me lots of questions he then worked on my chest which was extremely painful. He told me that I had Costochondritis and explained that one can get referred pain under arms, back, neck and ribs and even headaches. He gave me an exercise to do which was to tightly clench my hands behind my back, breathe in, and push out my chest as far as I can go and hold then repeat three times , or whatever you can do on a daily basis. That was two years ago and since then I hardly get it any more.

All the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.