Costochondritis and shortness of breathe

Posted , 6 users are following.

So this Monday I was diagnosed with Costochondritis. Im 17 by the way. I'm gonna get straight to the point. Ever since yesterday my chest wall hasn't had any pain ir anything at all yet I still have the shortness of breathe. Is this normal? because I have horrible anxiety and its actually starting to scare me. Please someone tell me something!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi John. Yes this is quite normal I get intermittent pain and shortness of breath in between. If you are worried best go get checked out for piece of mind. I’ve had so many e c gs all come back normal. Hope this is of some comfort 
  • Posted

Hi,

When I had Costco, it was definitely the tightness/sense of pressure in my chest that caused the most trouble for me. It also lasted longer than any pain I had. It made me feel like something was wrong with my breathing etc.

Eventually it all went away, but it made me crazy for awhile, worrying about every physical problem that came my way. I thought for sure I was dying.

But I wasn't wink

And your probably not either.

Hang in there.

• Posted

very normal John , it scares,the crap out of you, did you hurt your chest lately , most of the time,if you can think if you got hurt in between the ribs and you might not have notice it at first , than a little while later you more or make,a sudden turn. you will feel like,you had the breath knocked out of you, and you will have a flare up every so often . the pain can radiated threw the chest area and the shoulders arms & back. now you have,to learn to control it instead of the anxiety controlling you , do some exercises, lay flat on the,flood do deep breathing , take one of your hands and when your breathing in and out , breath in threw your nose and softy blow it out , when doing this take your fingers and gently take you tips of your fingers and do a circular motion around your chest bone and in the mid of your ribs, finger tips and lightly around that area . get to know the pain and learn to release it and take a Aleve aspirin, if so be it .plenty of water. speak to your dr and see about physical therapy. please don't manipulate that area became you will cause flare ups, take it from someone who has had them for 14 to 15 years.

• Posted

wow 15 years so i m not alone. ty fir sharing. . this has caused a lot of anxiety. i have been doing mediation lately and it has helped with the anxiety so its not as bad i just wish there was a cure to the chronic pain. mine is that dull nagging pain. i do have shortness of breath from time to time. its so frustrating

• Posted

i have had costochondritis for years. i guess i m one of the few to have it so long. drives me crazy, . so wish it would go away. if there was surgery for it i would sign up yesterday for it. its such a nuisance. . i take naproxen and it helps but i just want it to go already. have had a ton of chest xrays and ekgs all negative. just tired of the dull nagging pain. it ways on you mentally. any suggestions on relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.