Costochondritis and smoking

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello all,

I have recently been diagnosed with costochondritis. It's been exactly a week now. On low dose of neurontin and meloxicam. It has eased some but still painful. Out of work all week. 

I am a light smoker, 2 or 3 cigs a day. Trying to completely quite but the stress from the pain is making it difficult. Does anyone else think or feel maybe the smoking is making it worse or does anyone else smoke lightly and have an opinion on this? 

Appreciate all comments and help! 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

Hi Laura,

I have had Costro about 17 months. Neurontin is helpful for me as well for pain. As well as soft ice packks and lots of rest!!! Im not a smoker but I totally understand the stress elated with this condition. Reducing stress is very helpful with Costro. My husband is a smoker. Although I dont condone it, he says it really chils him out in stressful situaytions. Plus hes only allowed to smoke outside lol. Im thinking 2 or 3 a day isnt too bad at all. Good luck and hang in there. Prayer helps mr through the bad days as well.

• Edited

I have Costo and have done for around a year and a half and I am a smoker, I quit when it was at it's worst maybe first 2-4 months as even breathing was excruciating and anxiety causing so I had to stop but now I'm back on them which I'm not too bothered about ATM I suppose it's good in a way as it shows I'm feeling a little better lol any questions feel free

Ranger

• Posted

When you say "first 2-4 months" scares the hell out of me!! No way...I've had it a week. Actually have had it for months but just now found out what it is after spending a fortune on all the other test. I've decided it might be better if I am going to smoke to at least smoke weed so it will help with the pain. smile smile lol

Thanks for your reply Ranger 507!

• Posted

Genre12, 

My symptoms started out a few months back with a burning and slight pain in my chest. I've had sever reflux before so thought that was what it was. Got on high doses of Nexium and even was prescribed liquid lidocaine and when that didn't help they knew it wasn't reflux.

Very sharp pais, left or right sight of chest, shoulder blades, rib cage.....became so severe...called my Dr and said I was headed to ER. He ask me to stop at his office first and then he pressed on my breast bone and I came off that table...then he new what it was. 

Very painful! 

• Edited

Hi my name is Heather I was just diagnosed with costochondritis. I am a very busy lady. I own a house cleaning business and also bartender/ server. I have been knocked down since 3-23-2020 been on antibiotics 2 times prednisone 3 times and muscle relaxers for a month now. after all kinds of test blood test xrays ct scan ekg. they say i have Costochondritis. Well i have some questions about all this 1 does it ever go away? 2 What seems to bug it more so I can avoid those things. 3 Will I ever be able to go back to work? I also have depression and anxiety and this is not helping with this at all. I am so worried that my life will never go back to normal

• Posted

I'm in the same boat as you. Ive had costo for about 15 months. Some days aren't as severe as others but some days can be intolerable. Haven't been prescribed anything just advised to take 400 mg ibuprohen every 5-6 hours a day. Still doesn't relieve the pain. Hoping and wondering if it will ever go away. Has anything changed for you?

• Edited

well ask your doctor first off but if you think logically about this yes it makes sense that it would cause more inflammation. Costochondritis is caused thru the respiratory area. then you have inflammation in the cartilage around the rib cage. fyi If you were diagnosed with this by a doctor then they should've gone over all of this with you but Costochondritis is caused by straining, heavy lifted, coughing alot, intense activity, and respiratory infections. yes of course smoking would make it worse. in fact i bet if you stop all your problems will go away. and another thing no one tells you is that bad posture makes it worse. try to straighten your back. stretch every day. especially your chest area. look up chest stretches on youtube.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.