Costochondritis at 17?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, for the past 4 weeks I’ve been suffering with chest pains in my left side, the pain is more of a dull feeling than a pain as such. I also get it around my back and in my shoulders, I’ve been to the GP twice and got told at first it was a pulled muscle and then yesterday was told that it is costochondritis. I was wondering is it normal to have this condition at my age?? I’ve been worrying myself sick recently and have been convinced that I’m having a heart attack as my heart beats quite fast along with the pains. I also suffer with anxiety. Does anybody have any idea on what is going on or what I should do?? I’ve been told by my GP to just take paracetamol and ibuprofen. Thank you

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

As far as I’ve been able to find, costochondritis can happen at nearly any age, though with your shoulder pain, I’m more inclined to think you’re suffering from Tietze’s Syndrome- similar, but affects the top four ribs. If you press gently just under your collar bone, does it hurt? Feel swollen? 

The racing heart is also something that just seems to bea part of costo/Tietze’s, and the anxiety only makes it all worse. Doctors are largely unhelpful with any of this- they can give you meds, but nobody seems to know how to really effectively treat the inflammation or other symptoms. I’m currently working on finding natural ways to manage/reduce my Tietze’s, heart palpitations, and shoulder and arm pain, plus the anxiety. 

Start researching and see if you can find anything that would be helpful for you, and keep coming around here for the support- hopefully one day soon we can all find relief!

• Posted

Yes! Just under my collarbone and just above the left breast, there’s what feels like a lump which is tender to touch, two weeks ago before I called an ambulance out I was constantly touching it which of course was making it worse, honestly I have no idea what is going on. I’m taking paracetamol and ibuprofen but surely taking them for long periods of time isn’t good. My heart races every time I feel a twinge and I’m not sure if that’s my anxiety or what. I also get twinges in my neck and jaw. But I’m at that stage where I don’t know if it is all in my head as I have OCD aswell as anxiety. I am just bored of feeling like I’m going to die or have heart attack. I’ve been told by 4 paramedics and 2 doctors that it’s not life threatening but it still doesn’t stop it from being scary
    • Posted

It definitely is scary, and I agree, I’m tired of feeling like this as well. I hate how it’s as much a mental game as it is physically painful and exhausting. 

I’d say (without being a medical professional of course) that what you described, with the lump, definitely sounds like Tietze’s. I haven’t taken anything except naproxen and ibuprofen for my pain, and neither help much, so that’s why I’m trying to find other things- plus, you’re right, it’s not good to take those meds for extended periods of time. 

I would recommend seeing a doc about your anxiety- if we can’t get the pain under control, we can at least try to treat and calm the anxiety it causes. 

• Posted

I just wish I knew what was going on fully. It’s the headaches aswell. And I’m always tired. I’ve been fully convinced at times that I’m having a heart attack. But it’s so similar to a panic attack. Aswell as being dizzy at times. But my GP doesn’t seem to be worried. I have spoke to my doctor about the anxiety and he suggested medication. Which I’m not too keen on taking to be honest as a lot seems to go wrong with anxiety medication 
    • Posted

I completely understand, I’m sure most of the people who experience anxiety alongside costo/Tietze’s would have the anxiety greatly reduced simply from understanding the why’s and how’s of the whole thing. It would also help if our doctors took it more seriously, but most of them seem to brush it off. 

I’ve also been getting the dizziness with this- which doesn’t make any sense to me at all, just like most of the other symptoms seem senseless. It’s very frustrating. I’m sure if I went and asked my doc to treat each symptom I have, I’d end up being on ten different meds, and then more meds to treat the side effects...it’s crazy. That’s why I’m hoping that with enough research and experimenting, I can find natural supplements and/or diet and exercise changes that help- not just with the pain, but also the anxiety. I know I’ve lost a lot of sleep over all this, I’m sure you have as well sad 

• Posted

I’ve actually found myself feeling more tired. I’m just fed up of being scared to do something. Im a active person and I’m always up doing things so I guess that doesn’t really help, as your meant to just let your body rest. If I put my hand under my shirt I can literally feel my heart pounding away, which if I’m honest scares me the most. Paracetamol and ibuprofen aren’t helping anymore. I think my body has now become immune to the tablets if I’m honest 
    • Posted

What is the lump? It’s between my collarbone and breast. It’s tender to touch, but not visible to see. It doesn’t cause any bother until I touch it and then it feels really tender. And as a female you can’t help but be concerned 
  • Posted

Hi Megan yes what you describe is symptomatic of costo and anxiety is part of it to try to keep telling yourself it’s ok try ice packs rest and aqua puncture if you can you certainly have my sympathy but it won’t kill you it’s just damn annoying it might go away for a while or maybe for good but when it returns it mostly a bit more angry and it does travel around your upper body but please try not to stress 
    • Posted

It did go away for a week and then came back which is why I went back down the doctors. It’s all so scary and I’m trying my hardest to keep calm I’m just constantly worried that I’m dying 
  • Posted

hey i'm having the same pains....It all started a little over a month ago I felt the swelling in my chestwall and I was feeling like a tingle sensation right in the middle (between breast)my doc assumed it was just acid reflux he sent me home with zantac,a few weeks later I started to feel the burning on my chestwall and collar bone that traveled up my throat to my neck. went to e.r heart snd lungs were good they gave me a shot for inflammation ( it helped but didnt take away the burning. So I visit my doc again he prescibe prednisone that had me at 80 percent better few days after that I called in to let him now I still feel shooting pains here and there, he sent me in for labs NO LUPUS and NO RHEUTHMATOID so now i'm pn 4mg mythylpredsonolone (spell check) for 6 days I hope this helps because i'm stressed and can't be myself from being worried

• Posted

I know how your feeling, I myself find myself panicking aswell most of the times. I can’t remember the last time I thought my heart was beating at a normal pace. But I think this costochondritis makes you even more anxious to be honest
    • Posted

Yes it’s a symptom but be assured it’s not your heart inter costal is muscular around ribs it becomes imflamed and causes muscle spasm that’s what you feel this causes the anxiety so try to relax a lot don’t focus on it 
  • Posted

hey, how are you feeling.
    • Posted

Hey. Not feeling too good to be honest. My breast are hurting and they’re lumpy which I’ve recently been worried about. But I’ve always had these lumps from what I can remember. They’re quite big and take up around half of the breast. But I’m only small chested anyway. I’ve still got the lumps under my collarbone and near sternum too. How are you? X
    • Posted

ice had it but was told it's my bone I had inflammation around my collar bone and he gave me naprxen(do not work) but I'm feeling bad today also my throat is on fire

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.