Costochondritis flare from stress and aniexty?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m a 33 years old female and for the last 10 years or so I have suffered with tenderness under my right breast. With one episode of needing to go to A&E thinking I was having a heart attack a few years ago. Doctors have said it’s costo. At the beginning of last year I mentioned it to the doctor and they suggest a blood test/X-ray and ultrasound. Blood test and X-ray fine but following the undersound I was called back into the doctor for something seen on my liver. After 2 months of tests (ultrasound, CT scan) they have said it is a hemangioma and nothing to worry about.... however during this time I suffered extreme aniexty and stress. As a mother of 3 the thought of cancer was the worst experience of my life.  During this I developed chest tenderness all over my right side, shoulder and right shoulder blade. Sometimes it causes a dull ache in my arm as well. I’m getting a lot of burning/ tenderness in and around my right breast as well (no other bc symptoms) The doctor has said she can’t feel anything to worry about. I’m just so worried it’s something else that it’s probably stopping my from feeling better. 

Has anyone had a flare up from stress and aniexty? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

In one word: yes. Stress makes it worse.

My thinking is that if it were cancer, it would have killed me already, as I've had this for years...

Of course it's always good to have tests done to rule out serious illnesses to put our minds at ease!

• Posted

Yes. Stress causes so many things to happen and makes so many things worse. there is a long list of things I have right now flared up by stress. I hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

Hi Kar1ee

Kim and Judith are right in that anixety plays a big part in the health condition. Its a steep mountain for us to climb and not easy. Please do not feel you are bothering you health professional and challenge if you feel you have not recieved the correct answers. They need to support patients diagnosed with CC and not leave us to fend for ourselves.

I still advocate a national campiagn is in order.

Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.