Costochondritis for 4 years

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've had this condition for 4 years, varying in it's severity, but this time round I've had the worst pain ever and it's been this painful constantly for 7 months without any relief. I'm limited to painkillers as I have had reactions to both Tramadol and Panadeine, so I'm at a complete loss as to what to take. The pain has now spread around to my shoulder blade and I'm in agony. Not sure if it's Costo causing the shoulder blade pain, or something to do with my Spondyloarthritis. I take Voltaren 50 mg twice a day, but it doesn't even touch the pain during the day. I take Valium 5 mg at night sometimes just to be able to get some some sleep! I use a hot water bottle and it does take the edge off the pain briefly. I just wondered if anybody could give me some advice on what to take, or ask my doctor to prescribe as I am completely at my wits end. Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you are having such a bad time. My costo?/Tietze's (I have swellings) is "only" nearly 3 years old. It seems to me that you are in much more pain than me and I sometimes find it difficult, too. What I do, is that I go to a chiropractor twice a week and he pulls me upwards with my arms folded back in my neck and cracks my spine. I can hear it when it loosens up. That keeps me going even if Im never free from it. There is another thing and that is a Back pod. There is a guy from New Zealand who has developed a device that you can use for manipulation your spine. His theory is that the back ends of the ribs are jammed up and that makes it harder for the front ends of the ribs to work and thats why you get the inflammation. And costo pain can spread anywhere in the upper body. I have the back pod, havent really gotten the hang of it, but many other sufferers have tried it with great results. Hope this is giving you some ideassmile

• Posted

Hi there, thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated. I've thought about going to a chiropractor in the past, but my G.P. and Rheumatologist don't recommend it for me, because of my other back issues that I have. Even Physio exacerbated the pain to the point where I had to stop treatment. The Back Pod looks like it could help though, as I also have scoliosis. Thanks once again for your suggestions. 

• Posted

Hi liz I have costo and get severe sternum pain with it and I have started using a tens placement unit . It really helps take the edge of . Maybe you could give it a go . You can use it at the end of the sternum and on rib cage and shoulder or back but not too near your heart area as it's a electrical pulse system

• Posted

Hi Ray, thanks for the suggestion. I'll certainly look into buying one. My  pain is mainly right sided rib pain and now the shoulder blade. Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi Liz, I realise your post was a while ago. I also have pain in my shoulder blades which radiates in2 my neck at times. Have you had any relief. I'm thinking of trying the backpod.

• Posted

I feel your pain I haven't been able to sleep with mine so last few nights I took Tylenol back and muscle and had a great sleep finally and gas been feeling good until I lift something to heavy

• Posted

Hi Donna, it's awful isn't it? I'm limited to what pain relief I can take, I have reactions to codeine and Tramadol, so I'm stuck with basic paracetamol and Diclofenac most of the time, which do nothing really for Costo! However, when things are really bad I take Valium on the odd occasion, just to get some rest! 

• Posted

I have started going to cranial therapy if you believe in natural healing it helps for awhile, to bad I gotta travel a hr and a half for treatment
  • Posted

70 year old male 6-3 and 185, in good health excepting- Had my gallbladder removed a little more than 2 years ago- Thought the costo was finished, but came back with a vengeance recently.  I also have issues with an enlarged prostate and I think they're both seriously effected by stress.  I can feel it coming and usually in waves.  I wrap an ice pack in a T shirt and hold it on my chest for 25 minutes- That and ibuprophen seem to help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.