Costochondritis for years?

Posted , 51 users are following.

For years I've dealt with on and off left breast pain (or so I thought) but it's never bothered me enough to be worried, recently it's got bad enough where my anxiety levels were through the roof and I convinced myself I had a serious condition. I began frantic obsessive googling which I do not reccomend haha, but I came across this condition, after reading that it's a condition with the ribs I did a self exam and realised it's not actually my boob that hurts but the ribs behind it. I booked straight in at the doctors, I told her my symptoms as I wanted to see if she came up with any other suggestions of what it could be before I gave my no expert opinion ha. Instantly she mentioned costochondritis and examined my chest, she pressed around my ribs and sure enough the pain was there and she instantly diagnosed me. I've been dealing with this pain for so long I was wondering if anyone else has had this for years? On all the websites I look at it says it should go in a matter of weeks and rarely lasts longer than 6 months, I remember getting most of my pain around beginning 2014 ish. If so anyone has had this condition long term do you have any advice on how to ease the pain? I also get shoulder blade, shoulder and arm pain too sad thank you!

1 like, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hello,

I’m hoping this forum is still active and I get a response. I’m a 25 year old male. I work in a call center, and get extremely limited exercise; with the exception of running around the house with my 2 year old. For about 5 months now, I’ve had left side chest pains that can radiate from my back, to my sternum, my armpit, neck, and tingle down my left arm. I feel the tenderness on the rib, right below the breast area and my sternum as well. I also have heart palpitations. The anxiety this pain causes is extreme. I’ve seen 4 doctors, all of which said it was not heart related. My most recent visit, doctor stated it was costochondritis. Strange, but I feel that his diagnosis was a bit premature. He first diagnosed me, then did the EKG, X-Ray, blood and urinalysis tests after. That’s why I’m still a little scared that it is my heart, but he states everything came back normal. Honestly, just looking to hear that there are others out there with an idea of what this is and an understanding. Thank you.

• Posted

100% exactly what I went through. It is awful. I found everything that calms inflammation made it better, for me that was krill oil, calcium magnesium, vit D, and natural solutions for the anxiety (I like Gaba). the heart palpitations for me were due to the inflammation on the left side pressing on the heart muscles. it really helps to use a topical cream on the sternum and ribs as well as ice/heat.

hang in there it will begin to pass.

I went insane thinking it was my heart too and got all the tests possible. I wish there was more knowledge on this.

maybe see a second doctor to rule out the heart so you feel more at ease and can just focus on the costro ♡

• Posted

Like you and a few others that have commented unfortunately because the pain can be so intense with this horrible condition anxiety is a part of costo. Best thing you can do is do all the tests you are worried about and hound your GP to put your mind at ease. Then once you get a diagnoses of fully costo do everything you can to help it recover. It can be long and frustrating recovery but stick with it. I found acupuncture and massage esp into the intercostal muscles really helped. I also tried as a last resort after a few years trying to recover a strong anti inflammatory every day for 8 weeks. During that time I tried to do as little as possible lifting children running lifting weights etc. I can happily say I am feeling much better than i have in a good few years. Goodluck

• Edited

Hi Peter,

I seem to have all the same symptoms as you, from my chest to my back and arms/neck. It has also caused me extreme anxiety which i had never had before, after being diagnosed with costo 2+ years ago and suffering many panic attacks it seems to have subsided for a few months (until now when i'm feeling a tad run down).

I found that vitamin D really helped. However after taking this along with magnesium (for the heart palps) i was starting to find it harder to breath at night time i now have it in my head that it is due to the vitamins and stopped taking them as much but i will definitely give them another try now that the chest/back and arm pains are back!

I also find that alcohol makes it flare back up! Does anyone else have this?

• Posted

you are not alone. i have had anxiety for the last 4 years after an incident that happened to me. Before that nothing bothered me. Since then i thought i had a brain tumor, heart problems, etc. i have had numerous EKGs all good. had MRI all good. like you every month or so i get this pain under left breast by the sternum. never had it diagnosed but from what i read thats it is costochondritis and goes away within a day but it does come back. as of yesterday i was diagnosed with high blood pressure and need to go on medication which gives me anxiety because i hate medicine. anyway the anxiety over this has given me my costochondritis pain again today. you will be fine the anxiety though is the worst thing ever and what it can do to us. feel better

• Posted

I've had this for 8 months now and it is really dragging me down. I take paracetamol and have been given some gel to rub on but this doesn't help much. I have seen two different nurse practitioners and a doctor but they don't seem too worried. It has helped me understand it better after reading your posts.

• Posted

Hi all

Has anyone actually managed to recover from costo?

I was diagnosed about 12 months ago.

I have tried massages, anti imflamatory pills and still got it.

As many mentioned I now also suffer from the anxiety.

Is there any hope that one day I will be able to return to the gym or play tennis?

• Posted

it did get better for me where I can live life again. I'm good for walking but almost 3 years now with it and still cant run 😦

honestly for me rubbing actual anti inflammatory cream on the sternum and ribs is so helpful. Also omega 3s helped so much! (I take krill) and good bone supplement

hang in there!

• Posted

Hi Sally

Thankyou that has given me some hope. I will get some omega 3 I take a bone supplement and primrose oil so one more wont hurt!

• Posted

Can I ask if anyone has a real burning feeling at the top of their chest with this ? I have to put cold compresses on. I am not sure if this is an associated symptom ?

• Posted

Does anyone also get muscle spasms all over their l body all the time?

I get them on my back, arms sometimes legs

• Posted

hi my worst problem is the shortness of breath ive had this twice now and the second time is by far the worse , have constant pain between shoulders and all along the tops of them going up into my neck , also the pain mirrors from my back to my chest which makes it almost impossible to take a deep breath have very tender sites on sides of my ribs on left hand side have tried everything but pain is relentless , i also now get full very quickly which has never happened before , does anyone else have this feeling dr said heart sounds normal oxygen levels are fine and blood pressure is txt book for my age 62 there must be some miracle cure somewhere just wish i knew where

• Posted

ive had mine for 7 years and its still going. i feel like its causing my anxiety to get worse and im constantly afraid its something more serious. im currently taking ibuprofen for it but it doesnt seem to help.

• Posted

Hi Jade,

My story is similar. started in November 2013 after a nasty chest infection.

still in daily pain now with added additional problem of Anxiety for 8 months.

Had heart checks galore & although medical professionals say not heart related, nobody can diagnose or help!

I have tried all sorts, Physio, massage, Excercise, stretching, stopping smoking.

2020 now and it is getting worse. I am 55.

medical professionals wont go near it? Thinking of trying a Vet. I honestly would be more confident in a Vet.

Alan (Aintree, Liverpool, UK)

• Posted

I have costochondritis since February 2019 , I was diagnosed with it April 2019 when I thought I was having a heart attack and was rushed to A&E a doctor there diagnosed it straight away , I had a ECG an X Ray and bloods done all came back normal he gave me Co Codamol 30mg pain was gone for a few hours then it came back , been like this for a year now it comes and goes , having a bad episode now , I've been on naproxen for 10 months the only thing that helps along with omeprazole to protect the stomach , I only take naproxen as and when needed and at a very low doses , we cannot let it get us down , I have a hot water bottle at the moment which help and no naproxen , doctors again Friday for blood tests .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.