Costochondritis, Gas, Acid Reflux Plus some...

Posted , 4 users are following.

I speak from my own personal recent experience with breast and chest pain, burning, pricking, pinching, acid re flux, heart burn.  It scared the heck out of me and I didn't know what was causing all of this and the severity was different daily and finally I've gotten much needed relief Thank God.  I just wanted to share some of what helped relieve all of this.  I never had heart burn or acid reflux and now I believe it was the Blood pressure medications causing it and maybe even extra strength  tylenol, and vitamin D supplement...this burning and acid went into my head (not kidding) and down my leg into my foot...it was like acid burning thru my body and i could feel it was acidic and it was acid reflux, but it was so bad that I could have screamed out in pain...I was shaking from the pain...I stopped taking all the medications and vitamin d listed above except for the blood pressure medication and  the majority of it went away.  The actual pain between my breasts and in my breasts was also gas; yes, gas; stabbing painful gas that didn't feel like gas, but every time it came i ended up burping or belching and the pain went away, my breasts were also painful to the touch and somewhat hard so I used an ice pack too., but i still doubted the cause...I also remembered that i had over used both my arms lifting heavy things like laundry baskets, groceries, hard to open windows and other things that required strength and exercising during this time as well...I believe my body was worn down from it all and i developed overactive nerves like fibromyalgia because the slightest thing felt like severe pain....I didn't realize i had injured the muscles in my breast and chest areas and it is very painful and can be mistaken for cardiac problems...I also injured my elbows which will affect the entire arm and hand and cause bad pain and numbness as well...very scary symptoms making me think the worst.  I did tell the Dr. and he spoke about injured muscles as well as i had cardiograms in the hospital and blood work with no sign of heart problems Thank God...I began to wear a tighter fitting spandex type bra for compression and it worked in taking away pain in my breasts and chest area as well as I used an ace bandage and wrapped myself up around my chest and breast area for compression and this also stopped the pain...I took over the counter Rolaids Mint flavored and this helped a lot too...I began to heal and be without pain after doing these things and believe me gas can get into any part of the body and be mistaken for something serious...i bought an elbow compression sleeve and it helped greatly with my arms and elbows and chest area pain...I also bought a should support brace which i haven't used too much.  the pain in the joint between the shoulder and arm seems to have been relieved with the elbow support sleeve...I also made it a point to bend over a few times a day so that the air trapped inside would come out and it does come out...i used a ottoman as well for pressing my stomach on it to get the gas out of my entire torso including the breasts...i know this sounds funny and strange, but it is true...gas gets stuck in the breasts and feels like something else...in any case try these things with caution and maybe ask your doctor too...it worked for me and i have been suffering for 9 months with all of this...remember too that sometimes we are dealing with several different things going on at the same time which is what happened to me, but all in all my body was reacting to a variety of things including the side effects of blood pressure medications and the other meds plus over the counter supplement vitamin d. Fear will make it a living hell...I hope someone gets some help from my post...Good luck and keep trying different things as well as keeping a positive attitude...When you're feeling good have a plan for what you'll do for every type of situation you may be in with pain and this too helps...be prepared for it...

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey Mary I'm going threw it all for the passed year just got the all clear on my heart from a ct scan, all archeries look normal no sign of cardiac disease, but the chest pain I still get is unreal feels like a ripping pain to a dull ache goes from right to left allways random different pains, I suffer with bad acid and nearly every food gives me heartburn, I pass a lot of wind from burping when I've been laid down to passing wind in bed, I also get a lot of feeling sick and eggy tasting burps 

• Posted

Hi adamb32, it is good that there's no sign of cardiac disease.  It sounds as if you need to take something for the acid and heartburn problem and maybe the pharmacist can help you decide what may help you or give your doctor a call to see what he would advise doing...good luck and call the doctor...smile

• Posted

I am suffering a backset after six lovely weeks of being pain free over the holidays!! Oh I had my regular soreness, etc. from fibromyalgia and age, but it was wonderful and i felt really encouraged. tues. afternoon I noticed my shoulder blades were aching and I was tired, couldn't seem to get comfortable. had a bit of a headache so swallowed a sudafed.I could tell immediately that it seemed to stop at the top of my stomach and sure enough , rib cage, breasts, the whole things was hurting. didn;t last too long, about an hour. Wednesday, my back was kind of sore, but was able to play pirate with my five year old grandson !lol Today I hurt all over finally couldn't stand it and took some ibuprofen and bam, here we go again breasts, ribs, etc. for several hours!!Another thing during these "attacks', as i call them, the pain moves from one area to the other. I has always happened during the day, never at night. I feel pretty down in the dumps after six good weeks!! thanks for letting me vent!

• Posted

Hi pamie28299, my younger sister's name is Pam and we call her Pammy...smile  Just curious; do you take medications and then notice that the pain begins shortly after taking them ?  It's also interesting it does not happen at night...I'm like a detective with myself too and I drive myself crazy..sometimes I really believe it's all caused by the fear the pharmaceutical companies put people in with their constant narratives on medications for every possible ailment and making sure to say how serious or life threatening the medical condition is and that we need that medication or else...I do not like their greedy tactics and their fear mongering tactics at all so I can't watch tv anymore or listen to radio with ads or I just tune it out...this stuff really does make people neurotic and fills us with unneeded fear that can lead to panic and fake or psyco-somatic pain throughout our bodies...I don't do well with meds at all  and most people don't either..sometimes the cause can be environmental too which people don't think of so take a look around to see if you're in a room where something may be causing your pain during that time and then it stops when you go to sleep..check everything..i do believe there is a reason most of the time causing our pain or discomfort other than a medical one. I also noticed my symptoms went away after I ate so I finally figured out that it was the chewing that relieved my neck pain and head pain..I have TMJ and the chewing took pressure off of my jaw and all associated areas...I also noticed the pain got less toward bedtime so I took note of that and said it must be a medication wearing off...try and think of everything or anything that you do, where you go, what meds you take, vitamins, what you eat, drink, what you use on your body, detergents, etc,...I realized my ring finger on my right hand got numb while I used the computer and then it came to me it was the wireless mouse and the battery in the mouse i'm guessing...we live in a crazy world with so many digital things that use batteries and they can cause problems for people..allergic reactions to anything like dental fillings, mercury, medals...I guess I should be a doctor or a detective because I do kind of like the deducing...I hope you get your answers and feel better and thank you for writing and don't forge amazon sells good soft support type braces for every pain in our bodies...PAMIE28299, I JUST RE-READ YOUR POST AND YOU WRITE THAT YOU TAKE THE IBUPROFEN AND BAM THE PAIN STARTS ALL OVER AGAIN...DING, DING PAMIE, IT MUST BE THE IBPROFEN CAUSING THE BREAST PAIN possibly...My pain moved around too; so strange from one side of my body to another...I swear I could feel it move inside of me like a blob moving around from one side to the other side...like in a movie...too strange; hope we figure it all out and we will one day..take care and you'll feel better soon...smile   Plus, think about why for six weeks you were pretty much without pain ?  Were you away; out of your usual living place ?  think about that; there's something to that Pamie...

• Posted

Sorry I am just now replying , Mary Beth, your post had gone to my spam folder! I agree with the greed from drug companies!!! I am always hearing about a medicine that was safe enough for a babe twenty years ago, but has been found to cause all sorts of horrid things now! As to th ibuprofen, it doesn't have to be ibuprofen. Most of the time it starts on it's own with no reason that i can see, but occasionally a pill will trigger it. No, the six weeks I felt so well were right here where I always am!Thanks so much for your reply!

• Posted

Hi

I have the same issues and take ranitidine. The drugs not working for me but I wanted to asked if anyone had suffered with itchiness ?

• Posted

Hi sam41880, I guess it's just how a person would describe a certain feeling and I can't say it's itching, but rather I've had pinching kind of annoying pinching that makes me scratch it. If you've ever had stitches you'd experience a pulling and pinching kind of feeling after they've been in for awhile and that's the best way for me to describe it...in any case it's the way you may want to treat it and my pinching only lasts a few short seconds so I just kind of gently press on the area and massage it lightly, but i'm sure there's plenty you can do for itching; over the counter...sorry you don't get relief with this ranitidine medication, but maybe you need to ask for another one or change what you eat and also it can be a temporary thing you're going thru...it may go away on it's own like mine did, but the only thing I did do was stop taking a vitamin D supplement because I got a feeling it might contribute to the acid reflux and burning I was feeling.  Some medications plus certain foods/drinks can cause acid reflux so keep an eye out after consuming and see what happens...Good luck...

• Posted

Just saw your post after another short lived, but painful bout with both breasts feeling like they were in a vice! Usually begins in my upper back then wraps around to breasts and underarms, over tops of shoulders and moves around and around! Most things I have read will mention one breast but it is both of mine! I have it last from a few minutes to a few days. Then, it will sometimes stop for a few weeks. Leaves my rib cage sore and shoulder muscles. Yuk. Hope you continue to improve.
    • Posted

Hi Pamie28299, it's such a pain I know.  I've wrapped myself up in 6" wide ace bandages around my boobs not too tight, but it helps a lot and also as much as I don't like to, I sometimes wear a bra to bed and that stops it..I get burning pains around both my rotator cuffs and downward and inward.  Feels like a toxic type  thing/cream i'm wearing which i'm not.   I'm looking for tube tops/bras because I think they may be good for this type of pain and give the compression I need...I'm going to try and see a chiropractor and I hope she can help with the entire matter...I'll let you know how I make out...I find compression helps a great deal.  I do know that Lisinopril (blood pressure med.)  can cause all my symptoms and probably is responsible for most. The doctor I currently see doesn't believe the med. can cause any of the symptoms I have so out with him because he's causing me pain...they most certainly can cause the symptoms I have and I'm the only who'd know because it's my body and i'm taking the medication...infuriating...tired of looking for doctors...I should just become one myself...smile

• Posted

Doctors can be extremely stubborn about medications that they know little to nothing about! Pharmacists nearly always know far more about a medication and it's side affects! I get a lot of "Gosh I'm sorry, that sounds painful" type comments from my doctor! I am considering a chiropractor, as well. I figure at my age, I'm out of alignment somewhere, at the very least! I have also read that they can sometimes help with stomach ailments. And, you are so right about fear feeding into things and making them a hundred times worse! Let me know how you are doing, and thanks for your post!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.