Costochondritis has anyone flown with this condition?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had Costochondritis for a year and 3 months. I am seeing a cardiologist for many different tests to hopefully find a solution to this ongoing very painful health problem. My question to all of you who are dealing with this have you ever gone on an air plane with it and what effects did it have on you with the altitude change? I am curious as I would like to take a holiday to Hawaii but am worried that the flight might drive my condition to be more painful when up in the air?

Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I recently went on a trip to Vietnam from Australia. So roughly a 8 hour flight and it had no effect on me. I actually felt so much better after the holiday the rest did my ribs some good but the flight didn’t have any ill effect on me what so ever. Goodluck and hopefully you can enjoy your holiday 😃

• Posted

Hello Sarah

Thank you for your response to my question. The reason behind my question was because when I asked my GP and Cardiologist they both advised me that flying and with the altitude change that it would make me very uncomfortable on the plane even for 5 hours. I am glad you are able to fly with it. So I am taking a vacation by Ferry to Victoria in the coming weeks. I see my cardiologist in Jan 2020. I have also been off work for a year a year and 2 months so far. I am Youth Worker/Counselor who's job is physically demanding sometimes with the type of young people I work with. It ranges from counselling to running around a basketball court or gym. So at this time I am unable to do that. Hopefully once i see Cardiologist there will be a game plan for proper treatment as this has gone on far too long. Hope things with you are improving.

• Posted

never had it act up from being on a plane. does act up before the weather changes and if I move a certain way. it knocks the wing out of me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.