Costochondritis help for others part 1

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi thanks for reading this and I hope it can help fellow costochondritis suffers.

so I'm a 35 year of male and was diagnosed with costochondritis about a year ago now and have had it on and off ever since and have recently been told it's a chronic condition now . 

Ive had more ecgs and every kind of blood test done even a Bone density scan all came back negative so I know it's not cardiac and this is where most of us will be panicking that it is despite what a dr says but trust me with plenty of rest and right meds it can be managed ! 

Currently I am on codeine as and when needed and I also use deep freeze gel and ice packs now not everyone will respond in same way so find out what works for you ! In part two I will share my pain symptoms and such so 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Simon, 

I totally agree with you about how it can be managed. I pretty much do what you do, I work in a nursery and my work are being amazingly supportive. I basically just have to change the way do things at work, but it doesn't stop me from doing my job. I have said on a previous discussion that If you listen to your body and do what it allows you to do then you hardly notice it is there at times. However I do frequently get muscle twinges which I take Naproxine for and I use codeine also in the really severe cases I have had. I also use Hot and Cold Muscle rub, and and ice pack, sometimes a hotwater bottle helps depending on what kind of pain it is. 

I think that people panic and I know I did at first, but once you come to terms and know that you can still live a normal life with a few adaptations then it isn't as bad as what some people have made out. 

Read a discussion with 55 replies with the 31 year old woman, loads of people have chatted about it in there too. 

• Posted

Good afternoon jillybean 

yes i I get muscle twitches and spasims but I work in security and once you figure out how to manage it a normal life possible I also play golf now which I never thought I could do again . It was scary times when first went through this last year in and out of GPS and a&e . Even having to explain my condition to some doctors and paramedics !!

• Posted

Haha, yes I had to stop my manager from calling an amublance at work for me one day because I was like it'll pass with the painkillers, I just need to sit and let it work for half an hour or so, she was like hmmm I don't believe you. 

I am still not over the worst of it completely, I couldn't quite play sport yet, Going to attempt swimming in the next month or so and see how I am after swimming, It is a bugger, and nobody quite knows what we all go through unless you have it yourself. It annoys me now when people call in sick from work with silly little colds etc when I have the twinges and stuff I have the night before. Makes you stronger at dealing with other things once you have had costo. 

My sister has a nerve injury in her shoulder so I don't get much sympathy from her which is irritating, because costo is nerve related but she thinks hers is worse than everyones which it probably isn't far off, but it annoys me when she acts as if our pain is nothing. 

• Posted

Isn't it wonderful how no one understands anymore especially employers ! 

Your lucky to have that I didn't last year and was made unemployed because of it . I've still managed to go to work through it took a lot to get through it don't help that it's not the most well know condition and can't accept you may not be able to do certain things or it ruins your everyday life and relationships 

• Posted

My sister has become very ego centric with her illnesses she has had, so she has no sympathy for me whenever I have anything. I am lucky my husband is as supportive as he is, and my parents always stick up for me when it comes to my sister as they have seen me in pain before. 

Yeah my work are wonderful, I am sorry you didn't have the same support, it musn't have made it easy for you to deal with. The key is patience, and knowing your limits so not to make it worse. So  many people I have discovered do not understand this yet with it, but it took me a year or so to learn all mine. 

• Posted

Yes took me a year once the pain started to ease off. 

I got support from friends most didn't really understand I felt. 

I still get the odd rising feeling or radiating sensation now and then but not as worried now just know need to take it easy then ! 

I have had 2 girlfriends in last year both left as was too much for them to deal with so makes it hard to date anyone ATM. 

• Posted

Well you know they aren't the right one for you if they aren't going to support you through something like that, what a couple of b****** excsuse the language. 

Duno what I would do without my husband, he knows what to go and get me now to help whatever pain im in. There will be someone out there for you like that too. 

but also good you are better, looking forward to hardly getting any pain. My job sometimes doesn't help my situation but I wouldn't do anything else. Love my job. 

• Posted

I used to go gym a lot but can't do that now so golf my form of exercise now slowly getting fitter 

Lol yes well just weren't right for me so no lost to me now someone will come along one day. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.