Costochondritis? Living with crippling anxiety.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all. Since about 3 weeks ago I have been plagued with rib/chest pain and shortness of breath. At first it wasn't so bad and the doctors wrote it off as anxiety. I don't exercise and wasn't involved in any kind of accident etc. 2 nights ago I started getting severe pain underneath my left breast. I ended up visiting the GP yesterday and the doctor diagnosed me with costochondritis. She said my blood pressure, blood oxygen, heart and breathing were all normal and performed a physical examination. I have a very tender spot directly where I was describing the pain. She gave me the regular Paracetomol and Ibuprofen. I've been crippled with anxiety because of these symptoms for weeks now, and I thought this would help me get over it. But from last night and today the pain has come back (nothing triggers the pain, not breathing of anything) and I have really bad breathlessness, occasional spasms in my chest and chest tightness. The pain medication isn't helping and I know the doctor said everything was fine but I'm still really worried. I've also noticed my left side of my ribcage sticks out more than the otherside. I'm worried it might be something more than costochondritis and i've been misdiagnosed. Moreover, I just want some tips on how to handle pain and anxiety related to this issue. I'm 18yo, female, 150cm, 35kg. Thank you:)

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi hun im also 18 ! i had severe chest pains and arm aches and got really worried so i went to A&E but my heart was normal and also they did blood tests which came back normal they diagnosed me with costochondritis it is the worst thing ever it makes my chest go super tight ! there isnt a lot they can do for you other than give you paracetamol and iburofen , to ease the pain a little bit i place a hot water bottle on the area or take a hot bath there isnt a lot you can do for it i feel your pain ! its the worst thing ever and when i spoke to my doctor and asked him can costo make your arms ache and he said no but reading alot of peoples disscusions on here they have experienced the same thing

• Posted

it so strange tho as i havent injured my chest or anything

• Edited

Hi, personnaly I'm 40

I live Luxembourg I have it since 4 years

I discover it since 1 and 1/2

For me its like Cristal said no medicins..the only solution is more Vitamine D.

I think doctors doesnt know Real how many we NEED.. it was my first solution and what made me stay up. i take Vit D cure 25000 in ampoule its in french I came from Luxembourg. so I tried in pills ans was week for more a month!!!!

another thing I discover now that I have an Highly sensitive personnality do I'm studing myself because I think anxity comes from there.

on YouTube you find a lot of vidéos about Highly sensitive people. and its a gift Just need to be work it like breathing better ,sport , méditation, questining ourself, so 15 to 20% of the population are. so I think its a link between this chostocondritis and Highly sensitive, at least for me...also caled syndrome de Tiez, so thats not a diseuse, thats something that some how comes and disepeared dont know how...1 exemple that was one man on these chats that discribed how he got it no more..he runs a lot very fast One day and never bad it since that day...Why? but it works for him. I still in and hope smith my research It soon is no more on my body...

• Edited

Hello Carolina,

I'm in Australia, this is the first time i have posted here. But i wanted to write and say i am exactly as you are, being a HSP myself!  And yes, i am sure that this aggravates the costochondritis and can make it worse...

Being highly sensitive, I am also very sensitive to medication and their side effects are always more pronounced for me..☹

I have been suffering from this awful painful & debilitating Costochondritis for many months now...am going to hopefully see a Chiropractor soon for my sore back, I'm hoping that will help, as others have recommended on this forum. I have increased my Vit D too and take a supplement everyday, 5000IU.

My symptoms of costo - I suffer shortness of breath, pain in the chest & sternum, (Some days very bad) dizziness, weakness & fatigue, difficult to sleep at night.

Have had my heart tested for abnormalities, blood tests, ECG etc, but that is all normal. I too thought it was a heart condition first, with all the severe chest pain!!

I hope that you are doing ok with your pain, and from one HSP to another....big (( hugs ))

Amanda, x

• Posted

Try stretching exercises. Google "chest and back stretching exercises", this helped me to some degree, although I have not been diagnosed with Costo. I have similar symptoms like you, but without the pain.

• Posted

I'm the same as you don't really know how i got it but it hit me so hard to begin with i had so many hospital visits even ended up on a heart ward and had to have an angiagram very scary but they found nothing. It was my gp who said i had costo . it's been 2 years now but i still worry . I find an ice pack really helps me during a flare up x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.