Costochondritis or Gerd

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone ....its been five months now that i experience this very severe pain in my left back shoulder blade and chest. It feels like being stab and sometimes a sour taste is backing up in my esophagus and feels like bloated stomach. When i tried to straigthen up my upper body and stand for a long time it really hurts my chest and radiates to my left shoulder blade. I've consulted a doctor and under go chest xray, ecg and blood test everyting is normal and i was diagnose with costochodritis the doctor just gave me pain reliever but still not satisified because i still feel pain consulted another doctor and diagnose me with gerd and gave me pantoprazole still feel the pain. Is anyone here experience the same?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes! This inparticular has taken me to the ER more than once. I also get nausea and stomach cramping along with everything you described. They always do the same, give me some kind of pain reliever and something to settle my stomach.

I have thought it was a gallstones attack, becauase I do have them, but my doctor wasn't sure. 

I have had blood work, xray, ultrasound, nothing significant showed. But it is very difficult at times to deal with. The only help the doctor has given me is the above and to treat the symptoms.

I feel your pain. It truly is frustrating and not at all nice to deal with,

• Posted

Thanks for the reply ......what did you do to ease the pain? Do you still have it until now?
    • Posted

It comes and goes. When it get's the worst, I use Naproxsen along with a heating pad on my back. I also use Tylenol and if my stomach is bad I will use something like PeptoBismol. I have taken what you are taking, Pantoprazole but I never found any great relief with it.

Other than that I haven't tried anything else and the doctor hasn't offered any other options.

• Posted

Me too, inflamed rib pain at front but also really bad behind shoulder blade and bloating etc. I too thought could be referred from gallbladdder but GP did not consider this. Painful! Been given physio exercises as they think rhomboid muscles but tbh too painful mostly, leaning forward almost compresses chest. Have thought about trying to reduce inflammation by cutting out acid forming foods, aniinflammatories not so good for you if condition chronic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.