Costochondritis or something else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

i got diagnosed with costochondritis last year and I'm 30. i don't think I know enough about it and I didn't get told anything from my consultation. From looking online i can see that a lot of people suffer from chest pain that can be similar to a heart attack. My pain is different and is more a dull ache at the bottom of my ribcage that hurts if i press down on it. It feels inflamed and painful to the touch. When inflamed it feels like a lump but that could be the inflammation? its also sometimes feels slightly hotter than the rest of my body. I have been lucky enough to not have a lot of problems for the last month or so and now the pain is back and more noticeable when laying down. I didn't have a scan, i went to a breast clinic and was diagnosed from there. i am slightly worried it isn't costochondritus and it might be something else completely as my symptoms don't match what i have seen on here (however im aware everyone is different).please could someone shed some light if this is what theirs is like please? it would mean the world as Its easy to overthink.

thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hello sophie,

so i have the exact same type of rib pain as you do my pain was put down to some sort of inflammation in the body. i think im stuck in a vicious circle with it to be honest i worry about it so creates some sort of anxiety which then causes the pain. let me know if you find some sort of fix for the problem, like you i thought it was something else but ive had all the tests and nothing comes back.

• Posted

Hi, I have been diagnosed with this today. I am the same as you. The highest level of pain is at the centre of the chest bone and all ribs below. Not centre and up as explained. My ribs slip/ pop frequently and the pain is round to the back. I suspect slipping rib syndrome. The treatment starts the same with steroid injection and nerve blocks. I think if it does not settle then they will consider me for SRS.

I am also hypermobile. it all started a year ago when doing physio exercise threading the needle. Rib pain, the Chiropractor said my ribs were out. He put them back several times and that's where my problem has all stemed from. I have mild back pain at T5/6 and MRI confirmed not the cause. pain got worse throughout last year resulting in my gallbladder being removed. Had 10 days pain free before this returned. I can't lie on my back or front. Strangely my right side is my worst side but it's the only side I can lie on. I can sleep upright with pillows if the pressure is taken of the mid back/ rib area. I think I am now on the right path with it being diagnosed as a rib problem not spine but still fear that it is SRS and will not be fixed with a couple of injections. How are you getting on now?

• Posted

Also have you checked out Tietze syndrome, similar but mentions more about swelling and specifically mentions heat and redness in the area. Once again seems to be the upper ribs which doesn't fit what you said. I have ruled that one out for me as there is no heat or any swelling that I can see.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.