Costochondritis pain and discomfort

Posted , 177 users are following.

I am a 39 yr old mother of a 5yr old daughter. I live in Newry, northern Ireland.

I was diagnosed with costochondritis 2 years ago this month. Like everyone elses case I have read on here I was totally convinced there was something more serious wrong with me and argued with my Doctor for a long time about it.

It started when I got a flu while on holidays and the only thing that I can think may

have brought it on was the coughing. It comes and goes every couple of months but there isn't a day that I don't get some kind of pain in my back or chest area. Just

before Christmas last year while driving to work I took really sharp chest pain and

felt like my heart was jumping around in my chest. This panicked me as I thought I

was having a heart attack. I pulled into the hard shoulder as I had my little girl in the car with me and I was finding it difficult to breath. The panic stopped after a while and I went straight to A&E. They did numerous tests, ECG, chest Xrays, blood tests, you name it and in the end they said they agreed with my GP that it was

costochondritis. They put me in Diclofenic tabs, which are anti inflammatory. They did help and the condition eased up after a few days but it wasn't long til it reared its ugly head again. so for me its 2 weeks of severe pain and maybe 4-5 weeks of bearable pain then back to severe pain again.

I am down at minute but this time its really bad, it seems each time I get it It is more severe. I am now on naproxin which to be honest I find useless. Pain killers are not working and even the hot water bottle which I found great is no use this time.

The majority of my pain in in my back between my shoulder blades and travels up into my neck and shoulders, sometimes down my arms. Although I have chest pain the worst is in my back, though if I were to press on my ribs at the front I could scream with pain.

I find this time with it being worse it is affecting my moods. I am snapping at my little girl all the time which I feel terrible about, and I just dont want to do anything. Work is just a nightmare recently. I am normally an upbeat person and very little gets me down, but it is really taking its toll. I have had this condition now for 2 years and it really in not understood. Most people I talk to have never heard of it, so when I found this forum and so many people suffering like myself it was a God send. So hopefully I can gain some knowledge from other people and anyone panicking about the pain they are feeling and thinking its something bad, can take some reassurance from my story.

Does anyone feel the pain is in their back more then their chest area. And if anyone has any advice or anything, please do share with me.

Sinead

11 likes, 604 replies

604 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Sinead  I really can sympothise with you my symptoms are just like you pain in my back between shoulder blades my doctor told me in November what I had mine started in June I had been to my chiropractor and it was quite an intense session on my back and shoulders a few days later I went on holiday abroad I felt like my heart was going to jump out of my body I ended up at a heart hospital found no problem they were very through I came home not rested as this was there all the time I went to a hospital at home and they did a 24hr tape on my heart when the nurse put on the sticky pads I was so tender that's when I told my doctor  the pain is very tiring and I find it hard to get comfortable at times I feel like I've got a ton weight pressing on my chest caused me severe anxiety attacks but like you after reading the people with it I'm much more relaxed I try to rest as much as I can but I have to work and my job is physical care worker my doctor told me it would go in a few weeks but find at times it's much worse even doing housework agrivates it my description feels like a very hard heart beat that's felt I the ribs and across the tummy hope this helps anyone out there with this I'm going to see a new chiropractor to see if I've got a displaced rib as I'm told this could be the source of the problem 
    • Posted

Hello,

Just read your post and am very interested that you too feel it across your tummy. When mine is bad my upper abdomen swells and hurts which in turn worsens the chest pain and pushes on the diagphram which causes the shortness of breath. Also back and shoulder pain goes along with it all... Have you had any advice on the abdomen situation? I go to a chinese manual therapy guy tomorrow hoping he will help...

• Posted

Hi just read your note I have a hiatus hernia to so that doesn't help sometimes my stomach is swollen other days not I find it hard to get food down feels like it's stuck in food pipe never had this before I know it makes you very anxious but my only solution is rest before I has this con as I call it my life was good but now it's been hell it's truly a con because makes you feel that you have a heart condition I'm going to a chiropractor as I'm sure that I was injured or had trauma to my rib cage the day before this started but I didn't notice the pain which is caused by the inflammation I hope you get a result soon 
    • Posted

Hi Linda

the heart beat feeling is your heart and can be felt in stomach, dr said this week this is normal and if you are slim you feel it more...I asked thus question so some relief on that front....

after physio I felt a tight band around my ribs/under breasts....top of stomach so the whole rib area seems to be affected by this costo..although I don't know how was its cartilage inflammation supposedly...

how long have people had this as I'm on 10 weeks now and totally worried  and fed up

• Posted

Also this am the pressure is across my back....so def moving around a lot
    • Posted

Hi vic this heart beat you feel is NOT a heart beat it comes from the rib it's due to the inflammation I the sensation fels like bone slipping against one another if you put a little pressure on the side that you get the most pain when you feel it the heart beat as you call it stops try it then you will be able to feel a little reassured  I've led on my tummy in bed you can feel this yes it does get you down it gave me massive panic attacks when it first started as I lost my husband suddenly with heart problem but reassured it's not heart hope this helps you all 
    • Posted

Hi jukes did you get any relief from your Chinese guy I've use that oil for. 3days now and the relief is great rubbed it on my sternum and ribs the only problem my little chu dog don't like it hope this helps it cools using it certainly gives me a good nights rest to 
    • Posted

Hi Linda.

The Chinese therapy was a very intense vigorous version of manual therapy. There are a few versions of this massage and apparently this one is "Tui Na." It was agony but I have a lot to "unlock" as they put it. It will get better after each session. I do have faith in this method as James, the masseur, verbalized a great deal of info the entire time proving he knows the human body like the back of his hand but more specifically the muscles, tendons and soft tissue which is what I believe CC is all about. As expected I am stiff, sore and delicate which was to be expected but I will go back Sunday. It's once a week...

You and I have a very similar case of CC. My areas of pain are the same. I too have a small hiatal hernia. During bad times I'm nauseous from it and have to force myself to eat but small portions. Unfortunately for us it's all tied in... Chest back and abdomen. I will try the oil.

• Posted

I HAVE had costachondritis for 2 yrs know.It won't go away.Some days good some days bad it suck.I can hardly play sports cause I'm afraid to do more damage and I tried everything nothing works.Vicodin help but I can't get addicted to them.I just deal with it and get depressed.
    • Posted

Hi Linda. The oil does work well... I had another session with Chinese guy Sunday but think the method is way too aggressive for this condition although I agree with the concept. It's very painful during and after. The aftermath pain has had me in tears many times over the last 2 weeks. We are delicate beings right now! I'm going back to local PT place for some gentle work and the TENS treatment which is relaxing. That seems to be the "most important" thing to remain with this...
    • Posted

i saw the recommendation for the Olbas Oil so I purchaesed some. It really works well. I am entering my 9th month of this horrible condition. sad My husband used the oil on his temples for a headwache it worked wonders! I do PT 2 times a week and I also see a chiropractor 2x a week. I just wan this GONE!

• Posted

Hi there. Has yours been constant for 9 months? Mine has for 7 now. I keep saying ok if I have 3-days no pain I'm on the mend... Haven't even gone one! What do they at PT where you go? I'm nervous now of anything too vigirous but like the electrode treatment. I'm looking for PPT... Pampering PT!!
    • Posted

yes,it has been constant. sad I do PT called Craniosacral therapy and it is a gentle therapy. i ahve been going for 6 weeks and it has helped but not quick enough. I have other back problems that complicate my pain whick really stinks. Any thing that I have tried vigourously has been a nightmare! I am really depressed over this.

• Posted

Oh I know it is the worse thing imaginable. And nobody can comprehend the pain without having had it. My boyfriend is so kind but i would rather us not talk about it now as, honestly, every he asks how are you feeling...? I lie! Hate hearing myself whine.

Thank you for the PT info I will ask them about it. Chinese therapy turned out a nightmare as you say, for me too. Went twice still recovering... It probably set me back a while. It's all so frustrating! Glad we all have each other on this forum to help us get through.

• Posted

Hi jukes so pleased to hear you've tried the oil today I had my second  course of aquapuncture my chiropractor was very surprised to hear that my improvement was about 40 percent I think the oil plays a big part in healing hope you continue to use it probably the cooling  it brings !!!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.