Costochondritis still driving me crazy!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, again! I've been feeling fairly well with a few mild attacks till last night. I had decided to make a pumpkin roll and did some stirring and standing. By afternoon the muscles under my arms were extremely sore. I kept popping ibuprofen and alternating with tylenol. You just hurt so bad you feel you have to stop it. Leaned back in my recliner and felt the pain start in my shoulder blades, and go into both breasts, upper rib cage, tops of shoulders, like a moving boa constrictor, leave one place and move to the next!! I used ice packs and heat,etc. It was past midnight and i was worn out! Had some very slight heartburn which I would usually have ignored, but decided to take a dose of Mylanta. Well! It made me so nauseated! Usually once I get to sleep my muscles will relax, but I felt awful. Finally got up about 5 am and threw up! Not much but it stopped the nausea. Does anyone else vomit with a severe costo attack?? I am so tired of this! The fibro is bad enough with out this mess! Thanks for letting me vent!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I'm new here and your post was the first one I saw. I also have fibro and was just dx with costo. But, I'm kinda scared because the pain is also almost like under my right breast as well as my back and under my shoulder and down my side. My doc gave me trigger pt injections in the back and that helped alot so he's going to put them in the front next week. 

I was wondering if it causes swelling? And can it be like in the middle of the breastbone where it meets the sternum? And then follow along the lower part of the ribs? It's really scary. I'm having some trouble with my tummy too that feels like it might be IBS, so that's contributing.

I had back surgery a few yrs ago, that is still a continuing nightmare and another story. I do have scoliosis and walk bent over to the right with a walker. I got really ambitious a couple of weeks ago and my husband and I rented a 30 ft RV and went on an 11 day road trip. It was hard with the disability, and they're telling me that lifting myself up into the RV over and over (and I'm not small) may have caused some muscular problems on my side. 

I guess I'm just freaking a little. I still have to go have something called a HIDA test because I don't have a gallbladder and he wants to look at how the bile travels. Nice. In the meantime, I'm in PT, which I already was so now they are just focusing on my side. 

Thanks for letting me get this out. I have a wonderful family, very supportive, but I don't have alot of supportive friends and I don't want to burn out what I do have!

• Posted

I understand! I will be babbling to my son or a friend and I just know their eyes are glazing over! I'm sure they are thinking, "Well, if you are that bad off you would have died long ago!!" But it is so difficult to explain. So many doctor's don't get it either. You asked about swelling-yes I feel like my upper ribcage swells, right along the bra line. It doesn't look swelled but I know it is. Not the bone, I suppose, but the tissue. I retired four years ago and with a fixed income hadn't bought any new bras for quite a while! I have gone completely to sports bras anyway. I have always been busty, and at 66 , sadly , things are a lot further south than they used to be! my old ones were so stretched out, but glad I didn't toss them out! Haven't even worn the new ones and can barely fasten the ones that were so loose!! I, seem to injure myself so easily anymore from the slightest thing. when I have a good day, I think I take it and run with it and do more than I should. You've come to a good place, Kathy. I don't feel half as crazy since I joined! Best wishes,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.