Costochronditis for 3 years

Posted , 1 user is following.

Im a 23 year old female. 3 years suffering costochronditis. It’s agonising pain in my left side on the ribs. I went to my doctors and they’ve all suggested different conditions. But Costo and Tierz Syndrome seems to be right. The pain has deffo got worse. I tried ibuprofen and paracetamol to start with but made no difference. Then I tried Naproxen, no use either. Started using codeine and paracetamol, again absolutely no use at all. Then tried Amitriptyline, which helps a little!! I’ve tried gels, tens machine but they don’t help. A heated bean bag gets me through the night (that is when the pain is worse) I’m up a few times to re heat it as I’m woken by the pain.  The pain can be a dull pain with sharp attacks through the whole day/night. I was back and fourth to the doctor for about 2 and a half years, I’ve had a ultra sound scan, an X-ray and nothing came up. They wanted to see how I’d go with injections but the waiting list was really long so they couldn’t fit me in before coming out to Australia to travel. I’m in unbearable pain and struggle to enjoy things anymore. If anyone could suggest anything please feel free smile 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I've been told by a long time chronic costochondritis sufferer that turmeric tea is one of the best ways to relieve the pain over the time as it's a natural anti inflammatory, hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you I’m definitely going to try it! I’ve also ordered a pain pod which has very good reviews. So fingers crossed. Thanks again smile  
  • Posted

I have not been diagnosed with costochondritis yet! But Im sure it is as the pain went for for 4 months then came back, but what puts me in doubt is my pain can go on/off then disappear for a day or three! Then the discomfort comes back again does this happen to you?, plus get worse after eating smoking /alcohol!.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.