Costonchdritis but no pain when breathing?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 19 and have the last 2 months from hell. It started with a month long constant tension headache which the doctors seemed to think was anxiety driven. My mum finally pushed for some blood tests to be done because of that and my other symptoms which included tingling in my fingers and extreme fatigue (although I'd had this for so long I couldn't remember when it had even started). Got the results back and I was deficient in b12 and my thyroid was borderline low. So I've just finished my course of 5 b12 injections over the last 2 weeks. However last Friday I started experiencing severe chest pains and slight pressure and so was taken to a&e. I had had 3 ECG'S at home with the paramedics who found I had a Mobitz block (apparently pretty common and not serious) but rang a doctor and decided i should go in anyway. Had another one at the hospital and the doctor said it wasn't a heart attack and that it was probably Pluirecy! Went back to doctors on Tuesday because I was convinced it wasn't and after doing the usual blood pressure and pulse checks she said that it was probably costochondritis because it was slight tender to touch. However, I'm still freaking out slightly that it's something more serious! I've had an achy left arm since Saturday which the doctor seemed to think was due to the injection causing a reaction in it. The tingling has also gotten worse in my fingers and sometimes my arm feels numb. And my chest pain has gotten worse. It's always aching and feels pressured. My breasts feel so heavy and full and the sharp pains are worse and are waking me up at night. It also tends to hurt more after eating a meal. It is slightly tender to touch but only in certain places and not all the time. It's by no means an agonising pain when touched as some people described. It also doesn't hurt at all when deep breathing or sneezing etc. So is anyone else feeling the same way?? I feel like the doctors don't take me seriously and I'm just so tired all the time and am constantly checking if my chest hurts to touch and get so frustrated that I cry at least once a day. I obviously don't want it to be something more serious but I'm so scared it is and I've been misdiagnosed sad

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Also forgot to mention that the pain is mostly in my left side of chest and sometimes centre or even right side but not often. I'm not short of breathe but do find it more difficult to catch my breathe. However, I do experience that a lot due to my anxiety. I find walking sometimes makes it worse as well. I keep feeling my heart skip a beat more often also (mobitz block).

• Posted

I get chest pains had ecg all ok I've been in pain for 2 years ribs back like you my breast feel tender my spine hurts you sit and wounder how long it's going to last doc looks at you as you have made it up but we know it's real no mine is not to bad when I lie down and rest I've do need to much today in pain all over my back

It was hurting in my chest which I don't like at all as it feels like pressure then I go into panic mode big time we just have to struggle on don't thing docs got a answer

• Posted

Hey I got diagnosed a few weeks ago, I get breast pain, left arm pain and tingling in my hands even sometimes in my feet but I think the tingling is my anxiety, my breast is what made me go to the doctors and get the diagnosis but I still panic, mine isn't always tender apart from behind my boob it kills to push into my ribs! X

• Posted

Hi jade I feel sorry for you my boobs hurt more the left side all the bones underneath just keep taking pain killers sometimes they don't work in lot of pain today it takes over your life you think why me there are so many people with this condition stress dose not help I'm sure

• Posted

This is my issue exactly, if my daughter slightly bangs my boob it kills me rolleyes it feels like it's the underneath for me too although the pain can affect my whole boob, it's not nice at all I've suffered for years with it! X

• Posted

I have similar symptoms in as much as it seems to be worse after I have eaten and my chest feels like it's full of air, also my breast bone is very tender and it's almost like there is padding in there. When it's bad I have an inhaler which really helps to breathe. As I sit down all day it gets worse towards the end of the day but after I have had a warm bath and lie down, it's much better. I do stretching excercises which help and have started taking Fish Oil which also seems to have helped. I am looking into doing an anti flammortary diet as sugar is a real trigger.

• Posted

Hi..I totally understand how you feel. Not everyone experiences the same exact symptoms. I too have pain in both breasts, and sometimes its heavy to breathe in. and others, not at all. The pain because its inflammation in your rib cage can affect both sodes of your upper body. I have pain down my left arm at times, as well as shoulders and back. I've been to the ER on numerous occasions. I don't care if they think I'm a worry wart. The pain in my chest has been achy, stabbing, and sometimes a burning pain. I was diagnosed a year ago. I have great days and not so great. I take a medicine called Neurontin..definitely helps. Also soft ice packs, or heating pad help too. It can also help with anxiety. Its not a controlled substance. I have had many tests. They def feel its Costro. Stress and anxiety definitely play a role with this condition. So try and stay calm. Taking warm baths can help and I pray alot too. You are not alone. You will get through this...I promise. smile smile smile Also Im going for accupuncture in January. I have read that  helps our condition. And Arnica gel helps too.

• Posted

Thanks so much! You've made me feel a lot calmer about it. To be honest right now it's my headaches and stuff that is really bothering me as well. The nerves in the back of my neck and head are really playing up which I'm guessing might still be because of my b12 despite injections. So with the anxiety of that and the costro it's probably making me feel even worse. Thanks for all of the suggestions as well! smile

• Posted

ANYTIME!!!!!!  I'm so glad you feel a bit calmer now. It's so important with this condition, you try not to get too upset or anxious. But if I ever have chest pain thats pretty bad..I always go to ER just to make sure I'm ok. Better to be on the side of caution with severe chest pain. Hope you have a great day!!  smile smile smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.