cough

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm aware of the 'Ramipril cough' I started on Ramipril a couple of months ago and at the time had a cough anyway due to a viral cold infection. The cough has remained which is not unexpected as the infection takes quite some time to clear in any case. My question is however- is there a distinction between a ramipril cough and others. I have heard sufferers say that their doctor recognised their cough as ramipril induced -how do those doctors recognise that??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi. My experience is similar to yours. I went to the Doctor in mid November 2009 to have my blood pressure checked after a visit to the \"Biobank\" when they highlighted high BP. It hadn't occurred to me at the time that I'd had a bad cold (I wouldn't trouble the doctor with that) and he put me on 2.5 mg Ramipril and told me to come back for a further check when I'd been on the tablets for a few weeks. I saw him again on 18th December when he doubled the dose of Ramipril to 5.0 mg. I mentioned to him then that I'd been unable to get rid of a dry irritating cough. He said my chest was fine and that it was probably a \"post viral infection\" due to the cold, and would clear up in a few weeks. It hasn't! Yesterday I mentioned this to my neighbour who suggested it may be the Ramipril. I looked at the side effects listed and found that \"cough\" was rated a common one. (I did read the possible side effects when I first got the tablets but thought my cough was due to the cold I had so didn't think of it as a side effect) I then looked on Google and found your post among lots of others. I'm now going back to the doctors tomorrow morning to ask for an alternative medication. I'll post the results of the consultation here tomorrow.
  • Posted

Hi. Thanks for that. by co-incidence I had a follow visit to my GP yesterday.

She has upped by dosage to 5mg. I still have the cough which I believe is still a linked to the heavy cold and I told her that I wouldn't be upping the dosgae until I was able to clear the peristence (i'm still trying to clear some congestion I have) so that I can get a handle on whether there is a underlying ramipril connection or not. Everyone I know who went down with this cold are still coughing and sniffling a good 8 weeks after the worst affects so I'm hopeful the cough is just as you say -some residual post-cold viral infection, so i'll keep you posted on that.

By the way my Doctor did explain to me at the outset about the cough side -effect which I think is around 1 in 10 or 1 in 20. She also said that some expecrts she knows say that the cough is evidence that the ramipril is working ! (whatever that means lol). Since in my case the 2.5mgs haven't so far lowered my BP I guess from that that the cough I have isn't ramipril induced. Of course that doesnt mean It won't kick in once I go down the 5mg route. happy days.

• Posted

Hi. Went to the doctors today and explained about the cough. (Didn't see the same doctor who prescribed the Ramipril). She took my concerns seriously and said she couldn't rule out the cough being post viral, but was sympathetic to the possibility it might be caused by the Ramipril. She has put me on Amlodipine 5 mg. This is not an ACE inhibitor, but a \"calcium antagonist\". She explained that the Ramipril acts on hormones, while the Amlodipine acts on the blood vessels by relaxing them so that blood passes through more easily. The Ramipril had done its job -- my blood pressure was 122/80. I start the Amlodipine tomorrow and will have my BP checked again on 26th Jan as I have a check up on my Prostate Cancer. Hopefully the cough will have gone by then! One worrying thing is that listed as a possible side effect of Amlodipine is \"uncommon or rarely\" dry mouth - which I've had along with the cough, and \"very rarely\" a cough! I'll post any results as soon as they occur. Good luck with your cough!

Victor

• Posted

good news on the BP then. A dry mouth is on the endless list for Ramipryl as well. These drugs have such a long list of possible side effects (including Blood Pressure on the Ramipril list if you can belive that!!). It makes me wonder whether anyone is ever side-effect free given the list with these drugs.

tony

• Posted

Hi again. Good news. Prostate check showed no advance. Cough disappeared within three days of coming off Ramipril. Blood pressure 122/72 after three or four weeks on new tablets. No obvious side effects.

Hope your situation improves too, Tony. Cheers, Victor.

• Posted

Hi .Have been on ramipril 7.5 mg for some time and have experienced a persistant dry cough for most of this time. My GP says it is a common side effect and I will have to put up with it. I was very interested to hear of your experience with Amlodipine and intend to task my GP with this infomation on my next visit.Thanks for this valuable info.

Glad I stumbled on this site while researching ramipril.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.