cough

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had what I can only explain a cough, it is like I want to clear my throat all the time, it is very annoying, the doctor is not sure if it is an allergy, or from reflux,  I have had a chest X-ray, last year, when it started and it came back clear. My medication I am on is lansoprozole, ranitidine,  amitryptiline, I also take pycnogenol for skin problems, just wondered if anyone has similar symptoms like this cough,  Sue

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue, I had a cough, which was a known side effect of Ramipril, 

What does of Pycnogenol do you take?  When taken long term, it seems to have some unpleasant side effects, according to Dr Google!

When did the cough start, did it coincide with starting one of the other drugs/supplements you take?

• Posted

I am only on 30mg, pycnogenol,  I started this like I say for skin problems and it seems to have helped ,and the cough started before this, not sure if it could be the amitriptyline, as I started these last year, and it is not a cough as such it's that I keep having to clear my throat, quite embarrassing, thanks 
    • Posted

I have just looked at Amitriptyline side effects and listed is 'cough or hoarseness'  I'll put the link following this post.

It could be on the patient info leaflet that you get with the drug

• Posted

thanks, may consider changing to something else just to see !!!
  • Posted

Hi, Sue!  I took coursework on the throat for a degree in speech pathology and I suspect that what's happening isn't due to your chest/lungs but is actually vocal cord related.  When you cough, it damages the vocal cords just like when you scream. You slam them together, essentially and to protect themselves, they produce mucus. You can probably guess what happens next...you want to clear your throat or cough, and either of those will further stress your vocal cords and the cycle keeps repeating.

Try whatever you can to soothe the irritation (tea, honey, lots of water, maybe cut out all caffeine if you can for a bit). When you get that feeling, try making an "h" sound which blows air through the area but doesn't stress your vocal cords. And if you notice any hoarseness in your voice or if there's pain, please see an ENT to be sure you don't have nodes/nodules or poyps.

Of course, it seems like the trigger that started this in your case is your medicine, so yes to asking about alternative treatment that won't start this process over again or keep it going.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thankyou for this reply, very helpful, Sue. 
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with histamine intolerance a few months ago. I was taking ramipril, sinvastatin, omeprazole and Amitriptyline for supposed various complaints, including a constant cough. Researching these meds I discovered they are all histamine releasers. With my doctors permission I stopped all my meds to try to improve the side effects of histamine intolerance. I have perfect blood pressure, my cough is lessening, my cholesterol is okay. Still getting bad hives and intestines and bladder very irritated. 10 weeks since my severe reaction to some injections.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.