Cough and cold since xmas

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had a cough and cold on and off since Xmas which is driving me mad. I am a 29 year old male and never usually get colds. I've had a dry cough since Xmas which occasionall flares up with cold symptoms such as aching, producing phlegm and feeling generally unwell. I've been doctors twice and had a blood test last week which came back fine. Over the weekend I felt better and then yesterday BAM, symptoms start again. Yesterday I had the feeling of coming down with something, today I feel better but the cough won't stop and again has turned in to a dry cough after coughing up the stubborn small amount of phlegm. Am I getting recurrent colds or is this just a stubborn infection that won't go? I have a phone consultation with my doctor tomorrow so I'm gonna see what they say. The blood test results eased my mind that this is nothing serious but I thought I'd be home and dry this week. Any advice or reassurance is welcome smile

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I think you are probably one of hundreds with a cough at the moment. Don't worry too much abou it. Talk to the pharmacist. 

• Posted

I know exactly how you must be feeling, I have allergies and allergic asthma, allergic to the cold air believe it or not, anyway, I started with a cold end of a Nov 2016, last year and within a week it had gone, by the 6th of Dec I started with a dry, non productive cough, no mucus or crap basically. Seems like a nasty virus has been going round as my neighbours and I were competing in the "who's had it the longest" competition, my lasted 7 and a half weeks and virtually went, my son's teacher had it for 8 weeks solid.....as I have been recovering I seem to find that it still either hasn't fully gone or my immune system has taken a beating recently, as the weather is really bad and it's winter it doesn't help...I have gone through the whole, what if senario, could it be the dredged F, is it COPD, is it emphases? Am I leaving it to chance not going to the docs, if I do will it be too late, what if It's not just paranoia and I am dying etc.....seems that with a cough for weeks like this the vocal cords and throat will be sensation for a while and irate. I am 38, don't drink, smoke or take drugs, I like hot honey and lemon drinks and have sweets to keep my throat lubricated, this works a treat.....Ask yourself, do you struggle to breath, are you loosing weight, lost appetite and tired alot? My allergies are a real pain, they hit me say on a Friday morning, I feel like death, tired, aching, feel like I have the flu and by Saturday I can be right as rain.....that's non allergic type allergies.

! You may have the same, but I think it's probably that and this nasty cold virus that's been going round, I still wonder if I should go to the docs about my tickly cough but allergies can cause that too, can be down to Post Nasal Drip, had it all my life and never knew.

Hope that it eases you and has been of help?

• Posted

Hi Adam

How are you getting along now? I've had it since before Christmas and it keeps getting better them deteriorating again. I have Runny nose, cough, sinus pain, earache, weak legs and tiredness.

Becky

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.